SATA to IDE adapter

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Arkious, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Arkious macrumors 6502a

Arkious

Hi All,

I have a SATA to IDE adapter that i am trying to use, to have a nice quiet hard drive in the G3. Now it works to enable me to see the drive and install on it etc, but it seems to fail on boot.

At the moment im trying to find out if i have the firmware update on the iMac as im not too sure. But basically do these actually work or am i wasting my time? Just ive heard of people using SSDs which means they must be using something like this

thanks

2. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

That simply wouldnt fit at all, also that converts the wrong way, i need SATA to IDE not IDE to SATA.

Thanks though

3. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

HERE is the link to check which firmware version you need. since the article is 'archived' the links don't work anymore. so assuming you need 4.1.9, HERE is the download and instruction page.

i've used several that looked just like the one you have, but on G4 systems, never tried on G3. don't know if that matters. EDIT: as an afterthought, believe i always had ONLY the ssd drive on a cable even if it had two connectors. you might pull the connector from the optical and see if it will boot (might be MS/SL/CS config problem).

guessing you've already checked, but did you partition the drive as 'Apple Partition Map' and not GUID/MBR? just asking because i've missed that myself in the past late into the night on a rebuild or two... :eek:

if everything else checks out, you might just have a bad board. any other systems you can install and test in? if not at home, friend, school, etc? best of luck.

4. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

What do you exactly mean by "fail"? What HDD you try to use BTW?

Try fiddling with jumpers, as described here: http://www.forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1472948

If it's exactly this one, it does not seem to have Master/Slave jumpers.

BTW, I use similar one but with jumpers, based on Marvell 88SA8040-TBC controller:
    [​IMG]

5. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

ohhh very good ideas! i will try removing the CD drive first now knowing that it might work. The funny thing was when i put the G5s 10.5 drive in there (to install over) it tried to boot it but got stuck at the same place with the apple boot screen with no spinning disk. But i never give it a thought about jumpers. There is however space on the board to add jumpers and it even has print on the board that tells you MS, SL and CS configurations.

im trying a 2.5" WD Scorpio Black 7200 80GB drive

6. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

it failed to boot without the cd drive for some reason... but i now have jumper pins on the board, does it need to be set to master or slave?

EDIT - Actually, its set to master as standard so al try slave and see what happens

7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

i'd leave the hd as master and find the jumpers on the optical (just left of the ide connector) and set it to SL. it will be in the CS postion as it came from Apple. good work, best of luck, hope it boots.

8. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

ohh okay al take a look

----------

under the ATAPI to IDE adapter used on the optical drive there is a switch for Master/ Slave. It was already on slave

9. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

right, im reinstalling OS X, but this time the optical is set to Master and the HDD is set to Slave. I will let you know how it goes

10. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

tried again,

stuck in same place.

[​IMG]

thats all i see, no spinning disk.

it wont let me into verbose mode or anything either it just stops there

----------

Since the drive is SATA2, will i need to install a jumper to make it SATA1?

would this make a difference to its functionality? i dont have a jumper so will be hard to try

11. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

It shouldn't. I've used that same drive (160GB one) with my adapter in eMac and it worked without issues.

At this stage I'd suspect your adapter... but...

Is this your OC'ed iMac? Did you try 10.4 on its stock drive (I've seen that you had 10.3 installed)? I've had similar issue when OC'ing various Macs. It was usually caused by too low voltage. Tiger uses a little more resources than Panther. But it's just shot in the dark in your case (as I still can't check if voltage bump was needed for me to reach stable 700 MHz - my iMac is in my mother's house ATM). To rule this out, try to install 10.4 on stock drive. If it will work, adapter is the culprit.

12. Arkious thread starter macrumors 6502a

Arkious

This is currently trying to install 10.3 as I don't have a DVD drive to install 10.4 yet.

And 10.3 installed without any problems on both drives it just won't boot with the new one :-(

13. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

Uh, my bad. I somehow assumed that you're installing Tiger. :eek:

Get different adapter, especially if you've tried G5 drive before with that same result.
    Here is one with Marvell chip (see picture and comment): http://www.amazon.co.uk/ST4059B-SATA-IDE-ADAPTER-ID6334/dp/B001BUOVA8
    Looks exactly like one I use.