SATA vs SAS

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by scottydawg, Jan 29, 2008.

1. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I have a mac pro on order with a RAID card and 2 SAS drives (to start) for that I am going to be using for video editing. I am starting to have second thoughts if this is overkill and I would be fine with the SATA drives. Any thoughts?

2. newtech macrumors 6502

SAS is more geared towards enterprise servers and more expensive than SATA, seems like overkill unless you have mission critical requirements.

3. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

Nothing is overkill for video if you can afford it.

4. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

The different in throughput is notable, and with higher-performance IO cards the difference in striped performance is also notable. If pumping data is what you need to do, SAS is a better option. It's nice to see Apple finally catching up with Dell.

However - the difference in noise is also notable. I don't know how much of it you'd hear outside the Pro. I don't do very IO intensive stuff on Macs so my newest Pro has been ordered with SATA, but my Dell Precisions do make a relatively loud racket with SAS drives in RAID0.

5. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I may have to starve for a month but I suppose I can afford it, I just like keeping money in my pocket whenever I can so I can buy other goodies :D

I have a RAID card running in RAID 0 in my PC that is 4 years old and it has been great at video editing with Adobe Premiere so I just figured that was the way to go moving to the Mac. I have been reading where some people are fine with SATA so I thought I should ask.

6. kittiyut macrumors regular

kittiyut

And don't forget that by going SAS, you sacrifice storage space (pay more per GB) because these drives spin at a much higher speed (10,000 or 15,000 rpm) the areal density is less per plater than the 7,200 rpm

7. zdobson macrumors 6502

Thought... if you wait until you're absolutely certain you need something, it's only going to be cheaper.

8. JesterJJZ macrumors 68020

JesterJJZ

And updated the day after you buy it. :D

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

This probably can't be stated enough, heat is also more of an issue which means the fans are likely to be working harder.

10. ComeOnDieYoung macrumors member

another related question...

Is the RAID card/ SAS installation something that needs to be installed when the computer is being built, or can it be added as an upgrade later?

11. scottydawg thread starter macrumors 6502

scottydawg

You can upgrade to it later if you want.