Satai...sataii

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Grayer, Jul 28, 2009.

1. Grayer macrumors newbie

So apple screwed up by limiting the SATA thing (which I don't understand about too much). And they fixed it with a firmware, which I've read about and seems to suck. Do you think they will fix this issue by changing the hardware on the new mbp they will be making? not like a new model...just the new ones they are making every day.

2. AdamLikesMusic macrumors 6502

I just wish I could reverse the update. I don't ever plan on using a SSD, and my computer can't even handle viewing a damn animated .gif in Safari anymore without beachballing. It's insane that a brand new [upgraded] laptop should do that. (It worked fine before updating, as it is the same websites I used to view normally that are now f'd)

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As it has something to do with the firmware, and not the hardware, why should they change something hardware wise?

And SATA is a fast transfer protocol between storage mediums, SATA 1.5Gbps (falsely called SATA I) has a theoretical throughput of 1.5Gbps, which is 187.5MB/s, a speed only an SSD can really utilize.
    Therefore the SATA interface has to be at 3.0Gbps (not SATA II), to fully utilize SSD speeds.

4. Gabriel GR macrumors 6502a

Gabriel GR

Why don't you take it in for service then?

5. entity macrumors regular

After I installed the update my machine would beach ball all over the place.. iTunes, Firefox, Safari, Activity Monitor..

I replaced it with the WD and it hasn't done it since. And I mean it use to beach ball on me every 20 minutes or so.

Coincidence or not.. glad it's gone, haha.

6. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

Damn... I was planning on buying an ssd for the mbp... do u think they will release another firmware fix or something? because they really ****ed up.... If I get an SSD will it be worth it? or better to stick with HDD till they fix this problem?:(

7. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You will still be able to get SATA 1.5Gbps speeds, which are theoretically 187.5MB/s, so 150MB/s shouldn't be a problem.

Do you own a model with the SATA 1.5 insufficiency?
    Or do you plan on buying one?

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

Don't listen to people who claim that the new firmware slows the MBP down more. There are always people who complain about everything.

9. Grayer thread starter macrumors newbie

I do not currently own an ssd. I was planning on buying the new intel x25-m when it becomes available again. But I don't want to apples firmware so now I think I would waste the money... would yo reccommend OCZ vertex series rather than the intel?
    and geoffreak, I've read about their Intel ssds not even being recognized and apple doesn't help them because it's a "third party" ssd....

10. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

If you really don't want the latest model, why don't you go for an older model refurb? It costs less and doesn't have the so called "pesky" firmware.