Satechi Launches New HomeKit-Compatible Dual Smart Outlet

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Satechi, known for its line of accessories for Apple's iOS and Mac devices, today announced the launch of its first HomeKit product, the Dual Smart Outlet.

Priced at $60, the Dual Smart Outlet offers up two separate HomeKit-compatible outlets that let you turn dumb appliances into smart ones.

If you have a light that's not compatible with HomeKit, for example, you can plug it into a the Smart Outlet and enjoy on/off controls and real-time energy monitoring.

The Smart Outlet, which is controlled via Wi-Fi and connects to an existing 2.4GHz network, works with any appliance or electronic device that plugs into a standard outlet, such as fans, TVs, humidifiers, heaters, speakers, lights, and more.

As with all HomeKit products, the Smart Outlet can be controlled via the Home app or through Siri voice commands. It's also available in the new Satechi Home app.

The Dual Smart Outlet can be paired with other HomeKit devices in Scenes and automated using the HomeKit Automations feature.

Satechi's Smart Outlet joins a market crowded with HomeKit-compatible plug options, but it takes up minimal space as it won't block a secondary outlet and adds an extra plug to a standard two-plug outlet panel.

The Dual Smart Outlet can be purchased from Amazon.com or the Satechi website for $60 starting today. Through June 23, Satechi is offering customers 30 percent off with the promo code DUALOUTLET, which works both on Amazon and on the Satechi website.

Article Link: Satechi Launches New HomeKit-Compatible Dual Smart Outlet

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
or you could buy a 3 outlet homekit power strip with extra USB ports for $40...
You can also buy 3 Wemo outlet switches that support HomeKit on Amazon for $57.84 total. They're only $19.28 right now, which is a steal. Mine work really well, aside from when Siri sometimes forgets what I named things, which doesn't seem like the Wemo's fault.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Does it have a manual on/off button? Picture suggests it might, as that's what I'd expect the buttons on top to do -- but neither the article nor Satechi's website mentions such a capability.

IMHO HomeKit is not yet ubiquitous enough not to keep manual controls on things people may use without having to go find their phone.

coolfactor

macrumors 601
Jul 29, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Poor marketing. They show a coffee pot with digital controls and a kettle plugged into the same outlet at the same time. That would possibly overload some home circuits, and these devices don't just start working when power is turned on. You need to activate their functions. So I fail to see how this makes these appliance "smart".

Plus, many devices, such as TVs, are not designed to have their power switched on and off at random, but instead enter a low-power mode when switched "off".

upload_2019-6-18_16-50-13.png

I can see how it would be useful to be able to turn OFF these devices remotely if you left home and were concerned that they were still on. And the power consumption monitoring is also useful.
[doublepost=1560902119][/doublepost]
IMHO HomeKit is not yet ubiquitous enough not to keep manual controls on things people may use without having to go find their phone.
Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, Mac, and now some third-party TVs.... all can control HomeKit devices, not just the phone.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Apple Watch, HomePod, iPad, Mac, and now some third-party TVs.... all can control HomeKit devices, not just the phone.
OMG, I had NO idea!!!! Really? Are you sure?

/sarcasm
:rolleyes:

My example of "phone" was not intended to be taken quite so literally, nor to the exclusion of anything not mentioned.

Michvuee

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2019
Why don't they just make smart wall outlets so I can replace the ones inside the walls with the smart outlets? I would like that than putting this smart things on one of the outlets.

Reactions: jw2002

tobefirst

macrumors 601
Jan 24, 2005
St. Louis, MO
OMG, I had NO idea!!!! Really? Are you sure?

/sarcasm
:rolleyes:

My example of "phone" was not intended to be taken quite so literally, nor to the exclusion of anything not mentioned.
Sorry, but that one is on you. It was not clear at all that you didn't mean the words that you wrote.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Why don't they just make smart wall outlets so I can replace the ones inside the walls with the smart outlets? I would like that than putting this smart things on one of the outlets.
If you search Amazon for "smart outlets" there are several listed like you want. Some are wifi and others are Z-Wave that need a hub to work. I did not notice any that were Homekit though.

PastaPrimav

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2017
Or you could just buy a HomeKit outlet and replace the existing and not have it looks like hell.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
If you search Amazon for "smart outlets" there are several listed like you want. Some are wifi and others are Z-Wave that need a hub to work. I did not notice any that were Homekit though.
iDevices makes one. I am seriously considering going this way. I have a lot of Hue lights, and I can tell you, when they inevitably "stop responding" for unknown reasons, the two iDevices switches in the house always work. They seem more stable.

Edited to add: That link goes to Canada, eh?

Reactions: Weaselboy

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
Sorry, but that one is on you. It was not clear at all that you didn't mean the words that you wrote.
You are correct, I did fail to list every possible HomeKit-controlling device, and that tends to bring out the pedants.

HDFan

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
30% Discount code "dualoutlet" is still working on the Satechi site, although not on Amazon.