Satechi USB C Hub

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puckhead193, Dec 2, 2016.

1. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I noticed Satechi has two versions of the popular hub for the new MBPs. From what I can tell they are the same but one has a USB C port while the other has an additional USB 3.0 slot instead of the Type C connector.
    Wouldn't it make sense to get the USB 3.0 version since the 15" MBPs has additional USB C ports. Am I missing something there?

Thanks!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B019PHF9U...&ascsubtag=056cbb9127e12327ee10f813416400c2_S

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015YRD8MA/ref=twister_B015YRD7IA?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

2. Yoshimura macrumors regular

The one with the USB-C port is to plug the charger. Unless you don't have enough USB-C ports left, take the other one.

3. protoxx macrumors 6502a

protoxx

I don't think the usb-c port functions as a data port. Just a charging port.

4. kwandrews macrumors 6502

NO QUESTION HERE: Get the one with the USB-C input as it provides passthrough charging for your MB. You plug your MB's charger in to the Satechi, it provides power to your MB. The other one does not support passthrough power. Therefore, you cannot charge and use any of the peripherals plugged in at one. I strongly suggest looking at the HooToo Shuttle instead. It does the same thing, but the Satechi doesn't sit flush (top to bottom) with the MBP. Why?

The Satechi was designed for the 12" MBr. It's height is such that it will be totally flush with it. The MBP is thicker and it won't match up which may lead to strain on the USB-C port as it's a solid connection. The HooToo, like the Apple dongles, has a short flexible cable which allows for some give. The HooToo is more expensive, but I can verify it works very well and it has HDMI, passthrough USB-C charging, SD card reader and 3 USB 3.0 ports.

5. azntaiji macrumors member

You don't have issues with the HDMI at all?

6. kwandrews macrumors 6502

No. Just the known issue with the 2016 MBr 12" has with all displays. When I used it with the MBP, no issues for me.

7. omegadarkest macrumors newbie

I just picked up a 2016 MBP 15" with touch bar. Will you hub actually provide 4k UHD? Have you tested this at all?

8. comptr macrumors 65816

So which HooToo Shuttle do you all recommend ? For HDMI and power pass through I got the Apple Digital A/V Multi Port Adaptor, so for usb ports and a SD card reader would the HooToo Shuttle be the best option ? For the ethernet adaptor I am looking at the anker one.

9. kwandrews macrumors 6502

I don't have a 4k monitor to test. I had the LG from Apple 21.5" but that was direct connected via usb-c. I think it will carry 4k but at a crippled 30 (like most hubs) and not 60. Your best bet may be to wait for the OWC TB3 dock and/or the Belkin TB3 dock coming.

10. NathanD macrumors member