Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
Apple is broadcasting via Satellite their April 28th event at 10am Pacific Time.

The April 28th Event was reported last week and said to have announcements "that will be music to your ears".

It is widely expected that the long-rumored iPod upgrades as well as an Apple-branded Music Download Service will be released at this time.

In other news, it's rumored that a "communicating device" will be released in the coming weeks, possibly alongside the April 28th announcements.

One reader notes that all Apple Store employees are required to be at work on May 2nd, for training on a new product.

appeLappe

macrumors newbie
Jan 28, 2003
Sweden
This has to be big!

It might be more than updated iPods... Perhaps the music-service is big enough for satellite broadcasting, but I have a feeling there is something more....

dobbin

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2002
England
This BBC news link tells about EMIs decision to allow digital downloads of its artists' catalogues and the author expects there to be many announcements soon from resellers setting up download services.

I'm sure that the Apple service will be seamless when it is launched, but it is likely to be a tough market I would imagine. A nice new version of iTunes or a fancy new iPod could be just what it takes to make the Apple service the most popular.

I think the most interesting thing will be whether Apple makes this available to everyone, or just people using Macs, or even just people who have iPods. My guess is that it will be for Macs only, but you won't need an iPod.

We'll see on Monday. I hope someone will put up a minute by minute update somewhere, or better still a live feed to the web. Is that possible?

Gren: I think 10.00 Pacific Time = 17.00 GMT = 18.00 BST.

So it will be at 6pm here in the UK. Can someone confirm that please?We will have to wait all day to see whats coming!

jethroted

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2003
Cyberspace
Re: Stream?

Originally posted by Steamboatwillie
Will they be streaming it over the internet too?

I hope they stream it too. I had a rough time with streaming back in Jan. It kept cutting out, and clogging up, but I want to try it again.

cubist

macrumors 68020
Jul 4, 2002
Muncie, Indiana
I suppose you can play music on the Mac, but if I were at home I could just play my CDs. The iPod needs to be updated, and there needs to be something like iTunes for the PC to work with the service and the Windows iPods. The docking bay and USB2 interface will make the iPod much more attractive too. That's plenty of things to announce!

The "communicating device" is probably the Sony Ericsson P800 phone. (But if they want to announce a 970-based 15" AlBook that's fine with me! :) )

gotohamish

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2001
BKLN
Originally posted by cubist
I suppose you can play music on the Mac, but if I were at home I could just play my CDs. The iPod needs to be updated, and there needs to be something like iTunes for the PC to work with the service and the Windows iPods. The docking bay and USB2 interface will make the iPod much more attractive too. That's plenty of things to announce!

The "communicating device" is probably the Sony Ericsson P800 phone. (But if they want to announce a 970-based 15" AlBook that's fine with me! :) )

I don't understand the 15" 970 rumors - as if!

Centris 650

macrumors 6502a
Dec 26, 2002
Near Charleston, SC
Originally posted by dobbin
I think the most interesting thing will be whether Apple makes this available to everyone, or just people using Macs, or even just people who have iPods. My guess is that it will be for Macs only, but you won't need an iPod.

From what everyone is saying is that it will be limited to mac users. The music industry could see this as a test before they have Apple release it to the Windoze World.

As far as having an iPod to use the service... I hope not. I'll gladly pay for the service. I'll encourage everyone to use it. But I don't want to shell out $400 to use this service!

My question is will you need a .Mac account? I know everyone says that this will work directly through iTunes but you never know with Apple do you?

Postal

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2002
Ottawa, ON, Canada
I question whether or not Apple really would make a Mac-only music service. The only real challenge is in making copy-protected music (assuming it IS copy-protected) available to people who don't have iTunes. Maybe they could release an AAC plug-in for Winamp or Windows Media Player...

Either way, I'm looking forward to this, as a new iPod may help determine what I get as a grad gift. If I'm so fortunate. :)

MarkW19

macrumors 65816
Sep 13, 2002
Surrey, UK
OK, I can only assume that U.S. satellite is different from UK but, I've seen the co-ordinates for the broadcast in the link - is it possible to tune to the channel using Sky Digital in the UK?

And if so, how? :p

icrew

macrumors member
Feb 18, 2003
Originally posted by dobbin
Gren: I think 10.00 Pacific Time = 17.00 GMT = 18.00 BST.

So it will be at 6pm here in the UK. Can someone confirm that please?We will have to wait all day to see whats coming!

Check out http://www.WhatTimeIsIt.com--that should answer your question, regardless of where you are inthe world.

RBMaraman

macrumors 65816
Jul 25, 2002
New Albany, IN
I don't understand why so many people think this will be the announcement of the 970. The invitation said, "Music to your ears." That tells me that the announcement will be music related. I don't think the 970 has the ability to generate its own Grammy winning music.

Every major newspaper in the world has confirmed Apple will be launching a music service. New iPods have to be coming. That's what this announcement will cover.

[Rant]
And, one last thing (and it's a bit off topic). Apple is not stupid enough to put a powerful chip like the 970 in a laptop before a desktop. So, lets start dreaming realistically. Stop with the 15" PB 970 talk!
[/Rant]

Capt. Obvious

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2002
The Valley of the Blind
Originally posted by RBMaraman
I don't understand why so many people think this will be the announcement of the 970. The invitation said, "Music to your ears." I don't think the 970 has the ability to generate its own Grammy winning music.
Given the lame & formulaic crap that gets "awarded" Grammies, I don't think a computer would have TOO hard a time....

FYI - the Grammy is awarded for sales numbers and market penetration - NOT for either originality or quality; those are things humans look for.

ObSpec: the 'satellite broadcast' is probably just a feed to the Apple Stores & select ASPs. The announcement may be "big", but I very much doubt it's worth the trouble and expense of a webstream.

Mr. MacPhisto

macrumors 6502
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by RBMaraman
I don't understand why so many people think this will be the announcement of the 970. The invitation said, "Music to your ears." That tells me that the announcement will be music related. I don't think the 970 has the ability to generate its own Grammy winning music.

Every major newspaper in the world has confirmed Apple will be launching a music service. New iPods have to be coming. That's what this announcement will cover.

[Rant]
And, one last thing (and it's a bit off topic). Apple is not stupid enough to put a powerful chip like the 970 in a laptop before a desktop. So, lets start dreaming realistically. Stop with the 15" PB 970 talk!
[/Rant]

No, but what if they introduce PowerMac 970 and Powerbook 970 @ the same time? Imagine the buzz generated if Apple announces a new music service, a new iPod, a (possible) purchase of Universal Music, and the first line of 64-bit machines made for the masses. That would be quite an amazing day. I, for one, don't think they'll announce the 970, BUT I do know that they should be ready to ship by July - so an announcement now, coinciding with price reductions on various Macs, could create an amazing amount of buzz and anticipation.

Freg3000

macrumors 68000
Sep 22, 2002
New York
Does anyone want to guess at how long this will be? If it's close to 2 hours I might be able to chance the back end of it if I am lucky.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.