Satellite TV on Computer, mac mini as media center questions

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Okay so I came across this and wanted to see if anyone ha tried this. I have read some reviews where this is legit. I could get this and cancel my cable bill and it would save me a lot of money. Basically its where you buy the software and download it. From there you can watch cable tv straight from your computer.

Here is a link with some more info:

http://www.satellitedirect.com/

http://www.nodishnetwork.com/

The ones I am looking at is the first two, Satellite Direct and No Dish Network.

Also, If I decide to do this and it works well what i would do it buy a cheap computer to use as my media center to connect to my hdtv so that i can watch these channels on my big tv. I would assume that a mac mini would be my best choice.

My question is all i would be using the mac mini for is to stream this satellite software and possibly netflix. Which mac mini would work best for just being used as a media center and thats it?

I would like one with hdmi out or minidisplay out because i have the adapter..

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Ok regardless of whether its a scam or not, The real question I wanted to know is what is the cheapest mac-mini that would be able to handle streaming video good and one that could hook up to my hdtv??

Comment

mdgolom

macrumors 6502
Oct 26, 2006
Ok regardless of whether its a scam or not, The real question I wanted to know is what is the cheapest mac-mini that would be able to handle streaming video good and one that could hook up to my hdtv??
Yes. I have Mac Minis hooked up to both of my big TVs and stream to them all the time without problems. The new Mac Mini has a HDMI port I believe. If you pick up an older one you'll need the adapter (which is what I've done).

Comment

Gator24765

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 13, 2009
Texas
Yes. I have Mac Minis hooked up to both of my big TVs and stream to them all the time without problems. The new Mac Mini has a HDMI port I believe. If you pick up an older one you'll need the adapter (which is what I've done).

Basically Im looking for the cheapest option here. So im obviously going to have to get an older one. I do have a minidisplay to hdmi adapter but i dont mind buying a different one if needed.

What are the ideal specs for the mac mini if all im going to be using for is streaming videos.

Comment

Giuly

macrumors 68040
I can assure you Germany doesn't have 511 Channels - at all. Nor does Italy have 509 Channels, rather 30, or 90 with PayTV.

Well, they call it TV, but it is rather Chattanooga TV then HBO, Showtime and FOX. I doubt that there are any major TV channels. Nodishnetwork doesn't even have reviews, nor more then 5 hits on Google.

This is a serious, criminal rip off. Just get an EyeTV and DirecTV or Dish Network - Or that Verizon IPTV stuff, whatever they call it, and whether it works on a Mac.

Wasn't there a law that the providers have to provide you with a FireWire enabled Receiver upon request? I guess these work with Mac OS X.

Comment

Zingers

macrumors newbie
Oct 15, 2011
Mr.

Hey, sorry for bumping! Some guys have told me that satellite direct is really good, but I'd like to know more opinions before committing.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.