Satellite TV

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Luigi239, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Luigi239 macrumors 6502a

Hey all. I'm moving into a new house this month, and I'm leaning towards satellite TV instead of cable. Why? Because I hate time warner. I hate their service. I hate that I pay for 10mbs internet but really get 5. I hate their trials of bandwidth capping at 50gb. But thats not the point.

I'm leaning towards Dish Network because they have an HD only package of $50 per month. They say that I can use these TurboHD packages on standard deff tvs too, is that true? Their HD DVR is also supposed to be better than Direct TV's, and WAY better than Time Warner's. Any advice before I pull the trigger and schedule an installation?

2. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Congrats on the move from cable anything. I was with local cable and and my monthly bill was $24.95 a month for everything they offered. Little by little, they would charge an additional $10 a month for channels I already had and then would take them away if I didn't upgrade to a package. Anyway, my bill went to $75 a month and I made the move to satellite TV/Direct TV HD and I couldn't be happier. Don't know much about Dish, (I know they have a great deal with AT&T DSL), but it's better than cable, and yes the DVR is better than my Direct TV DVR. Anyway, enjoy and welcome to the satellite family. :cool:

3. da2005pizimp macrumors 6502

I just signed up with direct tv and i can't wait until it gets hooked up. I priced out dish but they were way higher and wanted a 2 year contract

4. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Yes, you can use the TurboHD or whatever package on reg. TV's but its pretty useless because you sort of get 2 channels for each HD channel. like one of those channels would be standard def. and then if you get the HD package, the same channel number, but it'll have HD at the end of it, but you can still watch reg. definition TV to. So I wouldn't get the HD package if you have a standard definition TV.

5. tobarefeet macrumors newbie

Watching HD channels on a standard def tv is awful, simply awful. The picture makes you want to weep. There is NO reason to get any HD package without an HD tv.

6. Luigi239 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Oh, I forgot to add that I am buying a new HDTV, and that will be my main TV. I'll have the two standard deff TV's but I'll be watching the HD one the most.

If you get a standard def channel along to watch on the SD tv, then why would it be that terrible?

7. rhsgolfer33 macrumors 6502a

It isn't terrible. I have Dish and like it plenty. I also have an HD and a standard def TV; I just watch the HD channel on the HD tv and the SD channel on my SD tv, its not a big deal. You might want to check with Dish and make sure you get the SD channels with their TurboHD package, the understanding I got from the commercials was that it is all HD (I took it as meaning there were no SD channels). Overall Dish is good, I prefer it to DirectTV and found it to be cheaper when looking at comparable packages. Can't tell you much about the DVR as I don't have one, but it is cool being able to watch TV on two tvs with only one box.

8. GSMiller macrumors 68000

GSMiller

I'm somewhat torn between going from cable to satellite. On the one hand, I would have way better quality (my cable TV gets white lines going through it during peak usage, as seen here) but on the other hand, a stranger would have to drudge all through my house in their dirty shoes to run new wiring and set up the boxes, I would have to sign a contract to get the service, and in order to get all the channels I currently watch on cable I would have to get the biggest package (and I'm in the 4% whose local channels are NOT included, even the local CBS affiliated news station). That would put the cost of satellite TV way over what I'm currently paying for cable, and the last thing I need is a larger bill.

9. redwarrior macrumors 603

redwarrior

I had DishNetwork and switched to DirecTV about a year ago because, at the time DishNetwork didn't have the Major League Baseball package. (They got in like 2 weeks after I switched.)

I think DishNetwork's DVR is soooo much better than DirecTV. I'm switching back in the near future, and even paying a penalty to do it. I hate DirecTV compared to DishNetwork.

(Can't evaluate cable, because it isn't available in my area.)

10. carlgo macrumors 68000

The Tivo DVR will be available for DirecTv soon. Supposedly a lot better.

I just love HD and have come to hate Standard Def. Hurts my eyes.

11. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Just make sure they have your local channels in High def, or get an antenna. We had to switch back to cable because DishNetwork didnt have our locals in high def. :( Watching local sports in standard def just isnt fun.

12. andyblila macrumors 65816

andyblila

I love my Directv. Better than DISH. More HD channels!

13. adk macrumors 68000

adk

I ordered DirecTV through the Qwest triple play deal (TV/DSL/Phone) on August 29th. DirecTV's installation subcontractor has missed (and not called about) three appointments thus far. The next time they might come to install my satellite TV (if they feel like it) is next Friday, the 10th. Tread wisely with this company.