Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Satisfied or Unsatisfied with Apple's "fix?"

• Satisfied

Votes: 117 60.3%
  • Unsatisfied

Votes: 77 39.7%

• Total voters

Loonytik

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
Simple...satisfied or unsatisfied with Apple's offer?

I've had the bumper since day 1 and it doesn't fix my reception issue but whatever, I'm not taking it back.

VOTE!

steeler560

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Simple...satisfied or unsatisfied with getting a free bumper?

I've had the bumper since day 1 and it doesn't fix my reception issue but whatever. VOTE!

Funny, I have NO bumper or case on my iPhone 4. Instead, I used a 1 inch piece of Scotch tape to cover the bottom left corner of the metal ring and problem solved. You can't even see it.

The proximity issue has been a bigger concern for me but looks like they're working on it.

I'm a recently a Windown convert...still think the iPhone is the best smart phone out there and it ain't even close. For those bitching, want me to tell you how many times I DAY I had to reset my Palm Treos and HTC phones!!!

foot56

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
I think a lot of people are like me. They love their iphone 4 and wanted to see what Apple “solution” was to this problem. Offering a free bumper does not fix this issue, we know this. I still drop calls and data with the bumper. I was hoping for Apple to say something like “We know this is a problem and we are working on it. We released a software patch to start addressing this issue and for those who are still having problems we will allow you to send in your phone for a fix. We know there is a small amount of users that have this problem but we will take care of you.” However what we got was, “…well this is a problem and we are not going to really fix it. We heard bumpers help somewhat so we will just give you one of those for free.” I understand there are other phones and I might start looking those but for now I LOVE my iphone thus the reason I bought it. However, I still think Apple should stand up and fix this problem. No other phone drops calls and data simply by touching the side maybe doing the “death grip” sure but not by touching. In reality they rushed the phone and got burned.

Givmeabrek

macrumors 68040
Apr 20, 2009
NY
I have no problem with the iP4 at all. Love it. I think the response is great because it is sure to get the whiners, moaners and maybe a few trolls to move on and invade the other forums. One can only hope......:(

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
I was hoping for Apple to say something like “We know this is a problem and we are working on it. We released a software patch to start addressing this issue and for those who are still having problems we will allow you to send in your phone for a fix. We know there is a small amount of users that have this problem but we will take care of you.” However what we got was, “…well this is a problem and we are not going to really fix it. We heard bumpers help somewhat so we will just give you one of those for free.”
Think about this: if there was some kind of coating that could be applied, it needs to go through all kinds of testing before it can be rolled out. It needs to be durable so it doesn't just flake off after a short while, or wear off with your fingers rubbing on it. It needs to be something that doesn't react with the metal. It needs to be, you know, something that also really works. Finding all that out takes time, lots of time.

People can talk all they want about scotch tape, duct tape, nail polish, etc., but I guarantee you that none of those will last long, and when they start falling off, you'll be displeased with what you find is left behind. Adhesive from the tape, possibly discoloration, flaking from the nail polish, etc. Whatever hardware solution there may be will be on next year's model.

Using a case/bumper is the solution Apple is willing to go with here. I've got a bumper too and don't drop the signal with it, but can without it, so yes it does fix the problem. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you may be one of the fringe-area dwellers whose signal is so weak that nothing can really help it but a stronger signal. (My experience with the Iphone 4 has been as Jobs described - the best Iphone so far, and I'm not being a fanboy or anything. I used to barely be able to make calls from my house. Now I can actually depend on the Iphone from my house. HUGE difference.)

steeler560

macrumors newbie
Mar 3, 2009
Think about this: if there was some kind of coating that could be applied, it needs to go through all kinds of testing before it can be rolled out. It needs to be durable so it doesn't just flake off after a short while, or wear off with your fingers rubbing on it. It needs to be something that doesn't react with the metal. It needs to be, you know, something that also really works. Finding all that out takes time, lots of time.

People can talk all they want about scotch tape, duct tape, nail polish, etc., but I guarantee you that none of those will last long, and when they start falling off, you'll be displeased with what you find is left behind. Adhesive from the tape, possibly discoloration, flaking from the nail polish, etc. Whatever hardware solution there may be will be on next year's model.

Using a case/bumper is the solution Apple is willing to go with here. I've got a bumper too and don't drop the signal with it, but can without it, so yes it does fix the problem. I'm not saying you're wrong, but you may be one of the fringe-area dwellers whose signal is so weak that nothing can really help it but a stronger signal. (My experience with the Iphone 4 has been as Jobs described - the best Iphone so far, and I'm not being a fanboy or anything. I used to barely be able to make calls from my house. Now I can actually depend on the Iphone from my house. HUGE difference.)

Bumper, smumper! If you're on your phone all day get a MiLi Power Spring. It's a case/battery all in one. I had one on my iPhone 3GS and I could go all day on the same charge. It didn't add that much bulk at all and it protected my phone for the half dozen times I dropped it. I don't think the iPhone 4 version is out yet but as soon as it hits I'm buying.

If you don't want a case use the Scotch tape fix...I think people are making this bigger than what it is. If you're dropping that kind of money on a iPhone 4 you MUST use a case, and if you use a case you solve any signal issues;)

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
Anyone who says the Bumper doesn't fix the issue is NOT experiencing the same issue. Dropped calls etc are completely AT&T's fault. The Bumper fixes the antenna issue. Period.

foot56

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2010
Anyone who says the Bumper doesn't fix the issue is NOT experiencing the same issue. Dropped calls etc are completely AT&T's fault. The Bumper fixes the antenna issue. Period.

Dropped calls and data? Click on a website with four bars nothing loads. Set it down on my desk and magically loads and that’s ATT fault? Don't think so. I'm more than willing to post a video of my Iphone 4 32 gig with a bumper not loading websites in my hand compared to a 100% change soon as it’s on my desk.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
99.45% of iPhone owners were already satisfied before the "fix".

Strangely 100% of Android fanbots who don't own an Apple product aren't satisfied...

Bodhi395

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2008
I'm unsatisfied since I already had gone out and bought a 3rd party case to get rid of the problem for $25. Now I won't be compensated for that case, but people that bought the Apple bumpers will be compensated. I'd have rather Apple gave out a $30 store credit, then people who bought 3rd party cases would be compensated in some way.

mysticbluebmw

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
I have no problem with the iP4 at all. Love it. I think the response is great because it is sure to get the whiners, moaners and maybe a few trolls to move on and invade the other forums. One can only hope......:(

Yay, yet another Apple fangirl with her head up SJ's tight ass.

I've had a bumper since day 4 and it doesn't help very much. I don't drop calls, I only lose data when holding it in my left hand normally using Safari. It NEVER happened with any other iPhone.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I'm very satisfied with my iPhone 4. I don't use a case and basically my reception is about the same as it was on my old 3G. I will take advantage of the free case offer, but will probably get something other than the bumper if offered. IMO a lot of the folks experiencing issues are having problems with AT&T. I've always had terrible AT&T reception, but am willing to put up with it because I like my iPhone so much.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC

Nah, where would the fun be in that? It's basically the same group that blasted the iPad when it first came out.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.