Save 3.1.3 to downgrade from 4.1 in the future?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by tivoboy, Oct 15, 2010.

1. tivoboy macrumors 68030

So, I have a 3Gs with 3.1.3, with I jailbroke with jbm.com. Works great, couple crashes, but good NTL. I really like sbsettings, and backgrounder, some these, etc.

BUUUT, I have to test a couple new applications, and they require 4.1 Cannot get them to run on 3.1.3 at all (I really hate how companies are doing this even the one which aren't really leveraging the multitasking to its fullest)

I have to do an upgrade, but would like to be able to come back to 3.1.3 if I need to/want to in the future. If say, the battery life gets really poor, or things are so, or I really miss the jailbroken aspect of the phone.

Is there a way to do this?

Is there a way to create some form of seperate backup of THIS CONFIGURATION in itunes prior to upgrade?

What must one do in advance of upgrade a jailbroken phone? I have the customized folders, lots of apps in them, do they need to be brought out prior to an upgrade?

Thanks for any tips on doing this. I'm sure the community has had to deal with this - although a simple search didn't yield any results.

2. Myzhi macrumors 6502a

On 3GS and newer devices, only way to downgrade to firmware Apple no longer allows is to have saved SHSH files for the firmware you wish to downgrade to beforehand. And, you can only save those SHSH files while Apple was still allowing you to install / restore to that firmware, currently only 4.1. Thus, the big question, did you save your 3.1.3 SHSH files back in the day?

3. Kayan macrumors 6502

Wow, I could never go back to 3.x.x after being able to multitask natively and all the other cool things it adds (while still JB'n). Besides 4.2 comes out in a month which will be huge, so you might as well get ready to leave 3.x.x unless you really want to get behind.

4. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

hmm, not sure. I know on cydia it says "4.01, 4.x SHSH save" but not 3.1.3 which is the FW that I was on when I updated it to jailbroken state.

kayan. What have you experienced with 4.1? Battery wise and performance on 3gs? I had the iphone 4 for several weeks, liked the MT aspect (but of course it dropped calls to much to keep using it as a phone)

5. tivoboy thread starter macrumors 68030

Well

Well, against my better judgement, I made the leap to 4.1

Things seem a bit slow, laggy, and performance seems to be comrpimised. I would say the battery life is a bit worse, I made it fine through a day before, now it is at MOST a day, DURING the day.

Not sure if I should do a complete restore as new phone, or just live with it. Can't imagine it will just get better on its own.

Would have liked to have kept the 3.1.3 with JB and all the things I had setup, but had to upgrade to 4.0 to enable some work and beta apps. I hate the fact that companies make apps ONLY to work with 4.0, give up the MT of course, but make it work at least with 3.1.3.

Oh well, change is good.