Save and Save As

Discussion in 'macOS' started by akpud, May 19, 2007.

1. akpud macrumors newbie

Good Morning,

Is there any way to establish the focus of the Save and Save As screens? I work with Word, Excel etc and in order to save a file I constantly have to drill down through multiple folders to find the right folder to save it to. Then if I switch to Finder, I have to drill down again to that same folder. If I then want to save a file from Preview, again I have to drill to that folder.

Question - is there any way to get the system to maintain focus on the folder last accessed (whether it was in Finder, Word, Excel etc).

I know I can put the folder in the sidebar - but that won't help as I work on dozens of different folders in any given day.

Thanks for your help.

AK

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Could you not use Spotlight to find the folders?

For Finder, open Finder, then Preferences, then choose where new Finder windows open

I don't have Office so I cannot test this out, but under the option of what to call your document should be a drop-down list with the main ones (Documents, Desktop etc) and your most recent saved places :)

3. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

In Finder, your recent folders are listed under the Go menu.

In most save dialogs, recently used folders are listed in the menu just underneath the filename field.

They do keep independent lists, though.

That's not exactly what you want, but is it close enough to do the job?

4. akpud thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much - both of the comments give me a good place to start!

AK

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

You can set a default location to open from and save to, but I don't think it remembers the last place you saved to if you're saving a new document. Once you've established your save location with a specific document via Save As, simply using the Save icon will continue to save that file to that location. That's why I create my filename and save it in the first few minutes of creating the doc.

To set a default open and save location in Word, as well as the location of other files such as clipart, go to Preferences > File Locations.

To set defaults in Excel, go to Preferences > General.

In Excel it seems to remember where you opened last after you close the program and reopen it. That was before I set my preferences, though. Curious aspect, I'll have to play around with it more.

6. akpud thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply.

Let me be a little more specific.

If I go to Finder and drill down to a specific folder and open a document in Word, amend the document and hit Save As - it will go back to that folder.

But, if I try to open another document directly from Word - it will revert to the last Folder I accessed from Word - not the folder I was in with the Finder.

So my question is - is there anyway to have these programs retain their focus on the last file location? My sense is that there is not - but any help is appreciated. (incidentally, in my old life as a PC user - this is exactly what it did).

AK

7. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

From what I can tell, whatever folder you opened a document from will be the default open from and save to folder. If you start a new document, it will save to the default location set up in your Preferences pane unless you specify otherwise.