Save as in Mac browsers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Maagus, Jan 1, 2008.

1. Maagus macrumors regular

I am having a little problem with browsers on Leopard. I need to name a file before it is saved in the following situation: There is web application that generates .xls files. Those files can be downloaded by clicking on "export" button. What I need is to rename the generated file (ie. set my browser to ask me where to save the file). I have tried Firefox 3 beta but it doesn't handle the process of generating xls. In Camino and Safari I haven't found any option to be asked where to save the file. I have tried Alt + clicking in Safari which, as I found, should enable the save as for that URL/File but the problem is that in fact the download is started when clicking a button, so this doesn't work neither.
    Thanks for any possible advice or solution.

2. siurpeeman macrumors 603

siurpeeman

have you tried right clicking, giving you the option to "save link as?"

3. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

Yep, the problem is the "export" button which isn't directly linked with the generated file :(

4. Maagus thread starter macrumors regular

Nevermind, my bad (as I suspected :) ), it works in Firefox 3 beta just by renaming the generated file (which I thought wouldn't work because of the totally different name) to something.xls.