Save As in Preview

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by crazypeter, Jan 2, 2013.

1. crazypeter macrumors member

Is there a way of permanently including "Save As" in the Preview (version 6.0.1) File menu, I have to type "Save As" in the help menu for it to temporarily appear in the File menu. "Save As" is useful for changing from a .png (ie a screen shot) to a .jpg; I just did that by rewriting the file name and when I tried to add it as an .jpg attachment I got the message "This PNG image has the incorrect file extension."!

2. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Just use Export instead, if you're changing formats. Simply adding ".jpeg" to the end of a filename doesn't convert the data format.
    Of course, you can change the default format of screenshots if you want.

Your new computer will not be the same as a six-year-old computer. Don't try to set it up like one.;)

3. crazypeter thread starter macrumors member

Thanks but how do I change the default format for screenshots to jpg?

LOL

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

In the Terminal, enter the following command:
    Code:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg
    There are similar commands to change the location and filename syntax.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You can use the Secrets preference pane to select screen capture file types and locations, or you can use Terminal commands:

To change the default format for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg (or whatever extension you prefer)
    killall SystemUIServer​

To change the default folder for screencap images, type the following in Terminal.app:
    defaults write com.apple.screencapture location /Users/username/Desktop/ (or whatever path you prefer)
    killall SystemUIServer​

6. crazypeter thread starter macrumors member