"Save As" problem in Lion/Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'macOS' started by LeandrodaFL, Nov 13, 2012.

1. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Can someone please explain to me the "Save As" issue that appeared in Lion and Mountian Lion? I am running Snow Leopard, and this got me afraid of upgrading. I heard that it has been fixed in Mountain Lion, but still not perfect

I do a lot of changes in the app "Preview" as well as in "TextEdit" and often need to save something as a new document while keeping the original

2. WSR macrumors regular

I also am still using SL for many reasons.

My understanding is that "Save As..." is still missing from the menus, but has returned as a hotkey.

With what you said, make sure you also research Versions and Autosave before updating. Since they might make it harder to find the "original" version.

3. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

The "save-as" issue was a lot of people getting butt-hurt over a terminology change and automatic versioning.

You can create a hot-key combination to create a duplicate.

4. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

Better yet, you can return the Save As.. exactly the way it was by using this command in terminal:

defaults write -g ApplePersistence -bool false

5. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

In Lion, there IS no Save As... option at all, if the app is using the new-style document model Lion introduced. In Mountain Lion, you can invoke Save As by holding Option and clicking where the Duplicate option was (its name changes to Save As... when you do this). Furthermore, in ML there's a keyboard shortcut for doing this.

In either case, if the app hasn't been updated for Lion/Mountain Lion you'll notice nothing different - Save As is still there in that case.

6. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

There is no other way to say it: you either have absolutely no clue of what you are blabbering about; or else you are arrogantly ignoring real issues that several advanced users are mentioning all over the web……wait, it's the first.

7. LeandrodaFL thread starter macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

Im a noob, is this joke or is it real?

I still did not fully understood the problem with save as, as I can't "try" Lion cause there are no Apple stores where I live and I am the only one with a Mac among my friends, and I will not install it cause I may regret it.

I would apreciate a more detailed explanation and how to they fixed in Moutain Lion...

8. throAU macrumors 601

throAU

What are these "Real issues"?

Refusal to adapt to new features?

9. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

The big problem with the new document model introduced in Lion was that it wasn't optional. I have no qualms about changing the document model, as long as we as users can have time to adapt our workflows. That, in turn, requires that some sort of on/off switch be added, that we can toggle at will. Apple let us down here.

10. Joseph Farrugia macrumors regular

Your ignorance is no excuse for not doing your home work ;)

(Do your homework, there is a ton of info on the web, don't expect to be spoon- fed.)

11. jameslmoser macrumors 6502

No joke. Try it yourself. Open Preview or TextEdit, look at the file menu. No "Save As..."

Run terminal command, and reopen Preview or TextEdit. Save As... is back.

12. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Also as mentioned above, holding down the option key while running mountain lion will bring back save as...