Save Battery Cycles?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by RWil85, Aug 9, 2010.

1. RWil85 macrumors 6502

If using the MBP at home, is it best to use it on AC power to "save" battery cycles? in theory, it makes sense - but, does it?

I've heard that leaving anything rechargeable plugged in at full charge can "cook it", so to speak..is this true for MBP batteries? or only for older rechargeables?

thanks!

2. Pax macrumors 6502a

My favourite battery table...
    http://www.batteryuniversity.com/partone-21.htm
    "The battery lasts longer with partial rather than full discharges"
    "Avoid full cycle because of wear. 80% depth-of-discharge recommended. Re- charge more often. Avoid full discharge"
    "No maintenance needed. Loses capacity due to aging whether used or not"

Hopefully answers your question, just use it, don't deep discharge it.

Don't worry about leaving it on the charger, your Mac stops charging it when it is full and leaves it "floating" with no current applied, your battery will be fine.

(cue lots of people coming on here talking about calibrating your battery, IMHO that's a red herring as far as battery longevity is concerned.)

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

4. RWil85 thread starter macrumors 6502

That's interesting stuff in regards to the "do not fully discharge the battery" as even the great Apple itself suggest that you do so initially and then once a month as maintenance during 'calibration'..odd.

5. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

it's fine for calibration but it's not to be done every day

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The information on that site is generic and not specific to Apple batteries. I would trust what Apple says, since they are the ones who determine if a battery is defective and whether or not it qualifies for replacement. Battery University isn't going to be responsible if you follow their instructions and your battery has problems. Apple will.

7. Pax macrumors 6502a

Good point.

The battery is good for hundreds of cycles, calibration once a month will only put say 50 cycles on the battery in its useful life. So I don't think BU and Apple are contradicting each other:- frequent full discharges are probably a bad idea, occasional full discharges will help calibration and won't substantially damage battery longevity.

8. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

I used to always worry about what my battery was doing as well. But eventually I just said screw it, and my battery has been doing better ever since :) It's cause I just use it now. I don't worry about how the battery is doing, when I need to calibrate, and all that jazz. I just use it. Have fun with your MBP!