Save button in iWork 09

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by someone28624, Jan 19, 2009.

1. someone28624 macrumors 6502a

I'm using Pages in iWork 09. I want a save button on top in the toolbar. I tried to customize it, but it doesn't look like I have that option. Is there seriously no way to create a save button?

2. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That's how I've been doing it, but I really want a save button.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why? It's harder. You have to take your hands off the keyboard.

4. someone28624 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I guess I'm like the people that want a "real" two buttoned mouse of the green button to make a window take up the full screen. I'm used to doing in that way.

5. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

You can use a real two button mouse.
    Surely, moving your hand off the keyboard and on to the mouse is harder then pressing cmd+s?

6. bigjnyc macrumors 601

bigjnyc

sounds like you still have the windows mentality. happens to alot of switchers, are you used to office? Just try using command+S for a while maybe you will realize its easier and it will become second nature.... after a while you wont even notice that a save button is missing and you'll be thinking wow this is so much easier and more efficient.

Or maybe i'm way off and i'm just talking about my own experience switching from windows to OSX. there were a few little things that bothered me at first and i had to get used to but once i did i realized how much easier and more efficient things were.

7. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

If you insist on using the mouse, just go to File > Save.

8. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

actually i've been using macs for 15+ years and I also want a copy, paste, undo and a save button. in numbers even more than in pages. there would be enough space. in numbers you always mark cells by mouse, copy paste them around. letting go of the mouse, leaning forward to the keyboard gets tedious.

any way to get the buttons in? applescript? any utility? apple feedback and waiting for iworks 12?

9. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

NO, it takes longer to move the mouse somewhere, click, then move the mouse back. Same as typing with 1 hand (with 1 hand on the mouse) vs typing with 2 hands (use shortcuts).

If you have a disability and cannot let go of the mouse, you can map a button on the mouse to COMMAND-S keyboard shortcut.

10. MacBoobsPro macrumors 603

MacBoobsPro

I don't mean to offend here but I am quite surprised that being a mac user for so long you have yet to get around to using shortcuts. I'm a graphic designer and I obviously need a mouse to move objects around on a page (even that can be done without a mouse) but still spend more time on the keyboard using shortcuts to get work done. If i kept moving and clicking the mouse everytime I changed tools etc it would take me a lot longer to accomplish my tasks.

Each to their own of course but I think you could be MUCH more productive if you started using shortcuts more in your workflow. I have gone as far as adding my own short cuts to apps so I can continue to work faster. I added an 'Export to PDF' shortcut in Quark the other day as I was fed up of having to go to File>Export as...

My left hand never leaves the keyboard. A press of a button is much quicker than fiddling with a mouse. :)

11. IgnatiusTheKing macrumors 68040

IgnatiusTheKing

Left hand keyboard, right hand mouse.

12. phliped out macrumors newbie

So no real answer

So easy to have just answered the question.

No you can not add a button. You can use Cmd+S

Now some of you have made fun of this person for being a Microsoft convert. Just so you know most advanced MS user also use shortcuts.

Why are there any button options in Apple if all "true" users always use keyboard shortcuts as well.

Here is a question, I have asked multitudes of people, experts and Apple.

My Cmd+S doesn't work in any :apple: iWork apps. All I get is a bonk and it doesn't save. And yes I have done everything, reloads, updates, P ram, new computers, etc. Just not what it takes to repair.

So I have to use my mouse and go to file, save.

13. chamster macrumors newbie

Jeez what a bunch of snobs. The fact is in my case with one of the documents I work on most in Numbers I use the mouse to do many of the things I need to do. So when you say it's harder to take my hand off the keyboard and put it on the mouse, that doesn't apply to me. My hand is already on the mouse so it's harder to take it off the mouse and put it on the keyboard. Even on my laptop display the toolbar space is about 70% empty, so there's plenty of room for another button without cluttering things up. I guess I don't see what the harm is in giving someone the option to put a save button up there if it would be useful for them.