Save Dock Settings

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RipeRetina, Nov 8, 2009.

1. RipeRetina macrumors regular

RipeRetina

OK, so I've had my macbook for about a year now. I'm pretty knowledgable about everything. I've had snow leopard since launch. After using a program called Docker by Blocksoft which I've had prior to installing SL. My dock settings will NOT save. For instance, the applications that I want to keep in the dock, they are gone after logout/reboot. I have to keep putting those applications back in there everytime, it is starting to get annoying, any suggestions?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Use Appzapper or App delete to fully remove that Docker program, it may not be SL compatible. If you have removed that program without the the above app remover programs the preferences and hidden files may be still there so you'll need to reinstall that program then use the above apps to remove the Docker program.

3. RipeRetina thread starter macrumors regular

RipeRetina

Oh, sorry, I wasn't exactly clear in my first post. I downloaded an update to it to make it SL compatible but I will delete it anyways just to check. I also just enabled FileVault in system preferences. Could FileVault be the problem?

4. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

FileVault shouldn't have any impact on your Dock. However I should caution you not to use Filevault unless you're in an office environment where your Home folder MUST be encrypted due to security reasons. One slip of forgetting your FV password and you will have to reformat, no other way around it.

5. RipeRetina thread starter macrumors regular

RipeRetina

OK, since turning filevault off. The dock still removes my personal icons and removes the icons that I want to keep everytime I log off. Any other ideas?

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Can you create a test account to see if you can isolate the issue?

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Odds are your Dock DB file is corrupted. Move this file elsewhere, then log out and back in. It is located in /Users/username/Library/Preferences and is called com.apple.dock.db.

8. RipeRetina thread starter macrumors regular

RipeRetina

Actually, you are not too far off. I called Apple support, there is a file in preferences called com.apple.dock.plist. They told me to drag it to the desktop, make my changes to my dock that I want saved, log out or restart and it was fixed! Thanx for the help anyways...