Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jk73

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Following on from your annoyances and discoveries (to which I agree) I have submitted Apple Feedback FB10011828 regarding the Save As... dialog in Safari:

"For most apps, the “Save As…” dialog includes the ability to set or not set the “Hide Extension” flag for the file being saved. See attachment 1 for Text Edit’s “Save As…” which has the expected drop down to enable or clear the Hide Extension. Setting or clearing this flag remains sticky for future saves until there is a need to change it.

For Safari, the “Save As…” dialog does NOT include the ability to set or not set the “Hide Extension” flag for the file being saved. See attachment 2 where the drop down does NOT have the item which enables or clears the Hide Extension. In practice, the file is always saved with the Hide Extension flag off.

Safari should behave like Text Edit and does not. Most 3rd-party apps (there are some exceptions) have been updated to use this method of setting the Hide Extension flag. I believe this was introduced with Mojave.

This misbehaviour is certainly present in Safari for macOS 12.4 betas and 12.3.1. I suspect it has been present since Mojave, but have not tested that.

References to this issue (which you can ignore):
https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...tomatically-being-added-to-file-name.2344035/ As is the nature of forums, the thread is somewhat confused - but it does highlight that this is an issue for others.
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/250107448 where the change in behaviours between HS and Mojave is described (without reference to Safari)."

And there were the 2 obvious screen shots with which I won't clutter this post.
If I get any response, I will let you know. :)

You really went above and beyond. Thanks very much for your time and effort. Greatly appreciated.

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
it did need them, in a way. Classic MacOS got around this by splitting files into data and resource forks, where the resource fork told the system what kind of file it was and which program should open it, and the data fork was the actual file and its information (this is a gross over-simplification, but it's the gist of it). A cross-platform world where no other operating system worked this way, plus the internet, essentially doomed a bespoke, fussy solution like this to the dustbin when it became difficult to insure the integrity of files transferred outside of MacOS.

I used to be hardcore against file extensions, and nowadays if I'm manually saving a file I still won't use one. But with the number of files I download that have them, I just have to accept it.

HDFan

Contributor
Jun 30, 2007
I used to be hardcore against file extensions, and nowadays if I'm manually saving a file I still won't use one.

With no extension how does the Mac know what program to open when you click on it?

WebHead

macrumors 6502
Dec 29, 2004
With no extension how does the Mac know what program to open when you click on it?

Well, even if you don't use them they're still there, modern macOS just hides them.

Classic Mac OS used app "associations" that were accessible in the file's Info window.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.