Save finder view prefs as global default

moveright

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 18, 2012
When i am searching through my files, I prefer the finder view option to sort "by kind" and in list mode. When I open a folder, I can manually choose this in prefs but it only seems to apply to that folder.

Is there a way to change the finder preferences on a global level?

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
When i am searching through my files, I prefer the finder view option to sort "by kind" and in list mode. When I open a folder, I can manually choose this in prefs but it only seems to apply to that folder.

Is there a way to change the finder preferences on a global level?
No. Finder is notorious for not remembering view settings globally. It will remember them for the folder you're in when you set them, but when you go to a different folder, it remembers the last settings used for that folder. One of the known weaknesses in Finder.

Comment

dyn

macrumors 68030
Aug 8, 2009
.nl
You can set the viewing options the same for every folder via the View Options (cmd-j or View > Show View Options or right click > Show View Options) but you'd need to use the same window and/or have the view of every folder set to the defaults. If you have ever changed the view in a folder it will use that view over the default. From what I see here I can change the "Arrange by" option but it does not allow me to set it as default.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.