Save JB files and all my hard work.

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by iPhone4UK, Sep 8, 2010.

1. iPhone4UK macrumors 6502

Is there a app that let's you back up all the icons, dock theme changes etc?I'm not using winterboard and spend hours on this phone!?

2. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

None that I am aware of. That is why I use Winterboard (iPhone 4) as it runs just fine on 3GS/iPhone 4 without any real slowdown and PkgBackup reinstalls all my mods with one button click.

I used to do it the custom way, but with all the firmware changes it just isn't worth it anymore. WinterBoard and PkgBackup make it painless.

3. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

I doubt it man, i know pkgbackup will backup your cydia apps but thats it. I know it sucks for some reason. I think the next jailbreak should auto update you to 4.1/4.2 and have it recognized by itunes as if it was done through itunes. just my thought. I'm wondering how App store apps stay but cydia apps go away.

Also I think you just need to SSH into your phone and find all the changes you made and backup these files. Then after update and jailbreak again, just go into the phone again and copy them back. Kind of annoying of course but i think thats the only choice.

Thanks
    AE

4. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

The core apps are in the firmware
    All the other App Store apps get synced back in
    Cydia apps can also be re-installed via PkgBackup, but not hand placed mods.

5. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

thats a good way of explaining it but how come cydia apps cant be made to synced with itunes? and their items saved too?

I'm only asking and not giving attitude or acting smart. I'm just curious to know why that doesnt happen.

Thanks
    AE

6. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Because Apple isn't gonna let our jailbroken apps into iTunes.
    Remember, Apple doesn't need to know which iPhones are jailbroken.

7. aelalfy macrumors 6502a

Yes of course, but I'm wondering, what is it about jailbroken apps that itunes doesnt like? its every app an app executed in same manner? What about it does itunes read that makes it think its not an app store app?

Thanks
    AE

8. Gavernty macrumors 6502

9. tesilential macrumors regular

Cydia apps, by definition, are not apple approved.

Why would they help you backup and sync them?

10. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Well Apple screens the Apps they let in the App Store. Those Apps once purchased (or free) are stored in iTunes. Again, Apple isn't gonna allow iTunes to store our jailbroken apps.

Not sure what else there is to say about it.

11. detroit1 macrumors regular

i beleive its called aptbackup?(in cydia) it saves everything uv downloaded in your itunes backup. once you update, download the app and press the restore button in the app and you should have everything back. youll probly have to go back to winterboard and pick what you want but it should be there still.
    my bad, just reread your question

12. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

AptBackup is really a poor app. PkgBackup does much better but it isn't free.

13. danwms macrumors member

the safest way is to make a list of all the cydia apps you use then install them again, one by one.