Save money and pick up an Icy Dock

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by zschiffman, Mar 24, 2008.

1. zschiffman macrumors member

Hey Guys,

I am a long time reader, 1st time poster. I wanted to post because I was in the market for a new external HD and used these forums to find which HD to buy. I ended up picking up a 750gb WD Caviar 7200rpm drive from newegg for 149.99. A good internal is only as good as its casing. I do a lot of video editing so firewire was a must. I ended up finding the icy dock MB559UEA-1S. It has USB 2.0 and FW400 compatibility and was on sale. After mail in rebate it came out to 44.99 on newegg and it is just fantastic. It's 1/2 the size of my LaCie D2, quiet, and cool. The best part is that you can hot swap drives, so the next time I see a great HD deal on newegg, I can just pick up the drive, a new icy dock tray for 15 bucks and use the external casing for both drives and swap out when needed.

Glad to be on the forums finally, and thanks to the poster that led me to the WD 750gb Caviar. It's fantastic.

2. razorfrog macrumors newbie

Agreed! I now have two Seagate 750GB 7200.11 drives in those same enclosures - they're great! I've had to swap in and out so many drives over the past year or so, and having the quick ability to do that has saved me so much time.

Although, I might have to upgrade to the screwless ones soon - getting rid of 6 screws sounds so tempting. But then then there's no FW 800 - guess it's time to get an external SATA card..

3. lermal macrumors regular

lermal

Agree as well. I upgraded my MBP hard drive to a WD 250 GB drive. I took the old 120 GB HD that came with my MBP and put it in a Icy Dock USB enclosure.

http://www.icydock.com/product/mb663ub-1s.html

It is real compact (super-slim and portable) and works great!