Save my iPad Cover

Discussion in 'iPad Accessories' started by Rookie1986, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Rookie1986 macrumors 6502

Hey Guys,

I bought the Red leather iPad cover when I got my iPad 2 last year, anyway now that we are around 9-10 months on the leather looks horrid! It has developed "dark areas" where it has been handled the most, at first I thought these were dirt on the case but I've tried leather cleaner and soaking it then leaving it to dry over night but the "dark patches" are still there. I've tried using leather and other cleaning wipes but again these do nothing....

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my iPad case back to looking "fresh and new" because tbh I'm kinda disappointed that it has gone like this in such a short time especially considering the price they charge for them.

Rookie,

2. glen e macrumors 68030

what do you do when you shoes are dirty?

lexol 3 in 1 leather cleaner or any show store for Kiwi natural cleaner...

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

If you want to keep leather products looking good, you need to take care of it regularly, before problems develop. Sounds like you may have let yours go for too long for any measure to really get it back to looking even again, but I'd try leather cream/conditioner -- you don't want to clean it, you want it to absorb more oil and get the whole thing to match the dark parts, instead of trying to get the darker parts to go lighter. I use a leather cream from Coach, and oil my cover every so often, at least once a month. Then I puff it with a shoe shining sponge. I've never used leather cleaner on my leather goods, oil and puff is the way to go.

4. glen e macrumors 68030

if you've never used it, then how do you know?...both recc's of mine are a cleaner and conditioner in one and work fine on covers...done many of them..

http://www.lexol.com/Product_3in1.aspx

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Okay, good point. But I've never felt the need for a cleaner. I do believe you definitely need a conditioner.

6. JMG, Jul 1, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2012

JMG macrumors 6502a

JMG

Leather Master cleaner, conditioner and protector. I use it on my car's interior and it is like magic. I can't imagine why it wouldn't work in this case.

7. glen e macrumors 68030

exactly - in the grand scheme of things we buy in leather, the ipad cover is pretty far down the quality list. ANY good cleaner/ conditioner can be used. Too many overthink this....

8. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Agreed. My point was that the OP seemed to be fixated on cleaning it. IMO, it needs conditioning more than cleaning. Darkening from use is an expected behavior of leather products. What you want to do is get the leather to darken evenly, not "clean" it so the dark spots go away.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Best thing for this and for interiors on cars is a water/woolite mixture over anything else. 15:1 ratio is the strongest I'd go on the leather. Save your money on branded cleaners. Your wallet will thank me.

Treatment after, depending on the condition of it, you may want to think about something like Leatherique if you're trying to restore the leather at all, if you're just doing upkeep the Zaino Z10.

All of the above will do wonders for car too. If you can't tell, I love caring for the inside of my vehicles. :)

10. xraytech macrumors 68020

Sorry to break the news to you but that's how leather is. I also have a Red Leather SmartCover and I like how it has developed a worn in look aka "Patina".