save yourself some grief, buy a case for your iphone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by flupwatson, Aug 16, 2010.

1. flupwatson macrumors newbie

I signed up here specially to share what happened to me when I bought my unlocked iphone 4 in Paris last week. I'd bought my shiny new toy and was playing with it the very next morning at a sidewalk cafe where I found free wifi when unexpectedly it slipped out of my hands and bounced off the pavement from a height of about 3-4 feet. What scared the *** of me was the fact that it wouldn't turn on at all after that. I thought I'd just poured 629 euros down the drain as I doubted I could just take it back and replace it because one of the plastic corners was all chewed up and scratched - it was obviously it had been dropped and it was also painfully obvious that this material that had been touted as super durable and scratch resistant was all a load of BS.

Fortunately, when I got back to my hotel it started up again as soon as I plugged it in. So if you DO drop your new phone and it doesn't start, don't panic. Try plugging it in and if it still doesn't start, THEN panic.

Now everything seems to work fine, except for the ugly chewed up corner which I've managed to hide with a silicone case which I realize now I should have bought from the beginning.

So, keep in mind that without a case this sleek shiney glass stuff makes the phone as slippery as a fish and that if you DO drop it it will easily scratch or worse break as I've now seen in numerous places on the net. It's really fragile and delicate, so please do yourself a favor and get protection!

2. rrichar macrumors newbie

I might be the only person to respond to your thread so I am going to make it a good one. I justed wanted to know if Apple's free Iphone case for everyone who purchased an IPHONE 4 before September 30, 2010 applies oversees ? Does it cover 2nd gen owners as well ?

3. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

Just because the glass is less likely to shatter doesn't negate the fact that it's still glass. I compare the iphone glass to automobile windshields. It's shatter resistant, but it will still crack when you drop it. Also, if you hit it at the right angle, you will destroy the glass.
    Use some common sense people.

4. Resist macrumors 68030

I don't get why Apple thought it was a good thing to add even more glass to the iPhone. It's bad enough they continue to use shiny black that shows finger prints easily but now the iPhone is even more fragile with more glass.

5. makefunnyfaces macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

I always keep a case on my phone, so I never have to worry.

I get what the person above me is saying, though. I really like the glass, but sososo many fingerprints. I have to keep a case or something over it to keep me from going crazy over fingerprints.

6. Resist macrumors 68030

I hate the idea that Apple keeps making the iPhone more and more fragile. I can drop my previous cell phone, which cost much less, and it won't break. Yet my expensive iPhone will crack. Seems like Apple is leaning towards form over function and I don't like it.