Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mr Rabbit

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 13, 2013
'merica
I regularly check our tech recycling bin at work for Apple stuff. A while back I let some G4 PowerMacs and a G5 PowerMac get taken away but usually if there is something in there, be it an old Apple power cord or full on Mac, I tend to save it and add it to the hoard in my office.

Today's find was a blue & white PowerMac G3. It will now live in my office window, opposite the dual 2.5 PowerMac G5.

Attachments

• IMG_20140815_170925:nopm:.jpg
    IMG_20140815_170925:nopm:.jpg
    285 KB · Views: 167
  • IMG_20140815_171657.jpg
    IMG_20140815_171657.jpg
    359.1 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20140815_171736.jpg
    IMG_20140815_171736.jpg
    349.4 KB · Views: 131

Ih8reno

macrumors 65816
Aug 10, 2012
Nice find, that's one Power Mac I have yet to own and am actively looking for.

gavinstubbs09

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2013
NorCal boonies ~~~by Reno sorta
Awesome to find a B&W in good shape! Mine was crippled when I got it and still is.

Years ago when I was young and didn't have a laptop I wanted to take something from the electronic recycle bins at some museum about "green" stuff. Never did, but I suppose there is something good every once in a while.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Awesome to find a B&W in good shape! Mine was crippled when I got it and still is.

Years ago when I was young and didn't have a laptop I wanted to take something from the electronic recycle bins at some museum about "green" stuff. Never did, but I suppose there is something good every once in a while.

No kidding! My nephew found a working Lisa in a dumpster up in Syracuse back in the 90s. Pretty penny those went for, too!

bse5150

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2014
I've always thought the PM G3 to be rather ugly. To each their own I suppose.

hamis92

macrumors 6502
Apr 4, 2007
Finland
I've always thought the PM G3 to be rather ugly. To each their own I suppose.

It's certainly polarising. I've got both the B&W and Sawtooth at home side-by-side and I prefer the toned-down look of the Sawtooth, but the blueberry colour (it isn't bondi blue like the first iMac is it?) makes the B&W more of a sibling to the original '5 flavours' iMac, which is cool.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
The first time I saw a G3 B&W I was working at The Desert Sun in Palm Springs, Ca. My Mac was some beige OS9 box (I do not recall the model, but I know it wasn't a 9500 or 9600) and I'd been there maybe two months or so when they hired Luis. Luis got the new G3 as well as Colleen (a long time employee) and one or two others.

They loved them and I really liked the case.

I was highly disappointed when the G4s came along. To me, the Sawtooths have always been in an ugly, bland dark gray case. Why Apple couldn't simply do the G3 B&W case in dark gray with a big G4 on the side like they did G3 I don't know.

But it took Apple coming out with the Quicksilver before I really found some interest in Macs.

BTW, I've always hated the cheese grater look of the G5s. I get why Apple did it and I like the performance of the G5, but it's just never been one of my favorite looking models.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
The first time I saw a G3 B&W I was working at The Desert Sun in Palm Springs, Ca. My Mac was some beige OS9 box (I do not recall the model, but I know it wasn't a 9500 or 9600) and I'd been there maybe two months or so when they hired Luis. Luis got the new G3 as well as Colleen (a long time employee) and one or two others.

They loved them and I really liked the case.

I was highly disappointed when the G4s came along. To me, the Sawtooths have always been in an ugly, bland dark gray case. Why Apple couldn't simply do the G3 B&W case in dark gray with a big G4 on the side like they did G3 I don't know.

But it took Apple coming out with the Quicksilver before I really found some interest in Macs.

BTW, I've always hated the cheese grater look of the G5s. I get why Apple did it and I like the performance of the G5, but it's just never been one of my favorite looking models.

I love the look of the g5, looks so modern even after 10 years.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I love the look of the g5, looks so modern even after 10 years.
I'm cool with the case design, but my main objection is that cheese grater front. OK, per their design the holes are necessary for air to be drawn through the case for cooling. But I've just never liked how it looked.

I've grown accustomed to it, but…well, the only case design I dislike more is the new MP trashcan look.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
I'm cool with the case design, but my main objection is that cheese grater front. OK, per their design the holes are necessary for air to be drawn through the case for cooling. But I've just never liked how it looked.

I've grown accustomed to it, but…well, the only case design I dislike more is the new MP trashcan look.

We have to disagree again.. lmao. I like the look. reminds me of r2d2 or something tbh.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We have to disagree again.. lmao. I like the look. reminds me of r2d2 or something tbh.
LOL, that's ok. It reminds me of a cheese grater. We have different outlooks but at least we have a choice.

Last edited:

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Man, that machine is gorgeous! Makes me want one as I have never seen one. Meanwhile, I'm pursuing a 'molar' Mac.

bunnspecial

macrumors G3
May 3, 2014
Kentucky
Very nice!

The B&W G3 case design remains one of my favorites. In fact, I've only held off actively pursuing one because I've been promised one once the professor across the hall cleans out her office(which is supposed to be before the semester starts on the 25th).

I have fond memories of doing the page layouts for the school newspaper on a B&W G3 using Quark Xpress. It was outdated at the time(~2005) but still got the job done in admirable fashion.

I'm excited about getting my own, as it's also the only New World ROM mac with an ADB port, meaning that I can use an AEKII with it without the use of an adapter.

LordeOurMother

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2014
The G3's.. clamshells... imacs.. these.. all have a certain nature to them that you dont see on newer macs.. the colour options available were really fun loving.

redhatcode29

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2014
Kuala Lumpur
I regularly check our tech recycling bin at work for Apple stuff. A while back I let some G4 PowerMacs and a G5 PowerMac get taken away but usually if there is something in there, be it an old Apple power cord or full on Mac, I tend to save it and add it to the hoard in my office.

Today's find was a blue & white PowerMac G3. It will now live in my office window, opposite the dual 2.5 PowerMac G5.

Dude, you are so so lucky. And you just find em...Wish i lived some where like that. :D The G3 is a beauty.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.