Saved Doc. But Now It's Gone

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ~Lefty~, Jul 23, 2011.

1. ~Lefty~ macrumors newbie

Really need some help here...

Running OSX Lion, Office 2011.

Created a word document for my summer class, had everything typed up, went to file > save as and then saved the docx to my desktop. Through out the evening I was working on it, I continuously saved it via file > save. The document was on my desktop. I finished up project, saved it, shut down my Mac and went to bed.

Woke up this morning, fired the MacBook up, and what do you know, the document is missing from the desktop. Spotlight can't even find it and I've searched everywhere. I open up Word 2011, and go into recent documents in the template page, and there it is. Even shows the file location to where it's saved (the desktop, just where I saved it). But when I click to open it, it says Word was unable to locate this file, would you like to locate it?

I can't find this anywhere and some help would be greatly appreciated; this was a huge project that I now will have to start over if nothing can be done.

2. old-wiz macrumors G3

Do you have time machine configured?

This sounds strange...I wonder if it's having trouble finding it..??

Try looking in the trash.

3. ~Lefty~ thread starter macrumors newbie

Time Machine is hooked up, but the last back up was from a week ago. So that really won't help. I was on the phone with Apple support for an hour running through troubleshooting to make sure I didn't miss a step. They shot me over to Microsoft Software support (for Mac). After a new case was created, they can't seem to find anything going on. They agreed that it seemed to be a glitch with the "auto-recovery" between Office 2011 and Lion. They said I'm the first with this issue and they're going to keep a good eye on it.

Right now, I'm running a disk recovery tool (Data Rescue 3) on the deleted files. I have about a 6hr scan. I started it about 2 hours ago, so hopefully that can pull it out.

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Sad to hear that. I hope office will bring in autosave and resume. I use iWork '09 and never had any issue and autosave works very well.