Saved ECID SHSH files on Sauriks' server will always work?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by YourFriendBen, Sep 13, 2010.

1. YourFriendBen macrumors newbie

Hello all, I've read the other post speaking of the automatically saved SHSH files. But I would like to confirm that all the SHSH files on his server will always work when restoring.

I have always had only 3.1.2 on my iphone and I see that Cydia saved: 3.1.3, 4.0, 4.0.1, 4.0.2

[​IMG]

Even though I have never installed anything further than 3.1.2, can I still use these SHSH blobs to ugrade to these versions? I would appreciate an answer from someone who has done this specifically that never had installed a later firmware but was able to use higher firmware version to upgrade without going to the current apple signed version.

Thanks for reading and taking the time to look at my post.

2. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

Yes they will work for you to restore to any of these versions. However, since you are on 3.1.2 you probably have an older bootrom. I would investigate using pwnage tool to do the upgrade using a custom firmware.
    The advantage to you is that you will eventually be able to go to 4.1 and preserve an older baseband for unlocking. Using pwnage tool today you can upgrde to version 4.0.

3. bripab007 macrumors 6502

Why don't you use Tiny Umbrella to get copies of your phone's SHSH files on your own, local computer? That way, if your internet connection, or Saurik's servers, are ever down, you can still restore-downgrade your phone using the SHSH files in your possession.

4. YourFriendBen thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, much appreciation for your responses and advice.

I have an 3GS MC version so no 4.1 for me :( (don't wanna lose that baseband)
    Saving all my SHSH files off of Sauriks' server is a good idea. I've already 'gmailed' myself my 3.1.2 file so I'll always have a copy in the cloud. But I should do it for the rest.

I should dig through the forum, but i think i'll hold off of 4.0.1 as in if the proximity sensor effects the 3Gs, i don't want to deal with that.

5. YourFriendBen thread starter macrumors newbie

It was my misunderstanding that I thought a firmware had to be already installed on the iphone for saurik's server to run the apple's code on it and then save the SHSH file. Thinking this, I thought I lost my chance to update to 4.0.1 as I had stayed on 3.1.2 when apple starting signing only 4.0.2.

Continuing my misunderstanding, I installed a small tweak that reported that I had 3.1.3 when actually I had 3.1.2 so itunes would not pester me with update notifications. So when Saurik's server automatically saved 3.1.3 SHSH file I thought I had tricked his server too and it saved a wrong version of my blob. (that tweak was not worth it, I see now)

To further my misunderstanding, on another iphone 3gs w/3.1.2 I was trying to get its blob but only could get 3.1.3 when requesting 3.1.2. So I was confused about what information Saurik's server needed to be able to automatically run the signing process.

Now the answers very apparent of how Saurik's server works, though it took some friendly responses to sort it out.

Thanks again.

BTW how awesome is the new all-in-one tinyss and umbrella? AWESOME, AWESOME TO THE MAX as the 80's guy would say on Futurama. Here's to semaphore and suarik! Cheers

6. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

As you now know, firmware version on phone has zero to do with saving hashes. Once you save the first set of hashes, all the rest are saved automatically.

7. bripab007 macrumors 6502

If Saurik's server can process all the requests in time before Apple's signing window closes.

Which is why it's always best to use Tiny Umbrella so you can get them on Saurik's server AS WELL AS have TU request them and save the hashes on your local machine.

8. iPhone-power macrumors 6502a

Agreed, but in most cases, this has not been an issue.