Saved game backup

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by harveypooka, Jan 15, 2011.

1. harveypooka macrumors 65816

This subject has been discussed previously, but I was hoping a magical solution had been discovered since then...

My iPhone 3GS was synced to a computer a few months back that I no longer own.

I want to sync with my current MacBook, but I absolutely, most definitely do not want to lose all my Infinity Blade progress!

Any way to backup all my saved games (not bothered about music or photos - they're saved) sync with my MacBook (which means an erase) and then copy all the data over?

Also: wouldn't it be great if the iPhone didn't need a computer? Ah, the future!

2. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Your saved game data will be included in the backup when you backup your iPhone.

3. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

I thought syncing the iPhone with my current machine would cause the iPhone to be erased first, then it'd backup (but be blank)?

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Right click on the phone icon in the left pane of iTunes and select backup. To be safe, copy that backup somewhere safe after you backup.

The backup is located here:

On Windows XP:
    C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

On Windows Vista:
    C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\AppleComputer\MobileSync\Backup

On Mac:
    /Users/USERNAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup

5. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Done.

Updated the iPhone.

When I come to sync, it asks if it's OK to erase the contents of the phone. Once it's erased, can I use a backup to copy my saved games, notes, etc over - and then add music from my 'new' Library?

Android users don't have these problems! :D

6. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

As far as I can tell all the apps, music and what-not that I've bought on my iPhone will be removed when I sync it with my MacBook.

It's telling me that syncing will replace all apps on my phone with apps from iTunes (I have about two apps on there from a long time ago).

Is there a way around this or is my device (and data) irrevocably tied to a machine I no longer own?

7. PaulyD macrumors 6502

Do Transfer Purchases in itunes?

I recently went from windows 7 to ubuntu, i run xp in a VM for itunes,, i did a backup and then transfer purchases and it copied all the apps off my phone into itunes. Then when i hit sync apps i selected them all again and i didnt lose a thing

8. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Just right click on the iPhone icon in the left pane of iTunes and select transfer purchases.

9. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

Ah ha! That's what I was after.

Does this also transfer my saved games?

10. stewacide macrumors regular

11. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

A friend at work suggested this, but I'd rather avoid jail breaking my phone. If there's a way to do this that's supported, I'd like to do that.

If I do jail break, I'll have to copy the saved games, restore the phone, jail break again to get the content back on, but then what? Can I remove the jail break or does it have to be erased and reinstalled for the jail break to be removed?

If you follow that last sentence, good on ya! :D

12. supermac96 macrumors 6502a

supermac96

Then why don't you get yourself an android phone?

13. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

I'm under contract until June.

Once it expires I'll consider my options. I'm leaning towards an HTC. Sure, Android will have other issues, but hopefully my data being locked away won't be one of them.

14. stewacide macrumors regular

I agree an iPhone without jailbreaking is pretty limited, but then again so is an un-rooted Android device running whatever gimped ancient release your carrier/manufacturer approve of.

Perhaps some day smart phones will be truly open platforms like desktop OSs and we won't have to jump through these ridiculous hoops.

15. harveypooka thread starter macrumors 65816

My work colleagues can all access the file systems of their phones making backups easy.

If you buy into what Apple wants you to do, the iPhone is great. It's the best phone I've ever owned, it's just a pain to do something that they haven't considered or don't want you to do to protect their ecosystem.

16. stewacide macrumors regular

Then just jailbreak. I can browse/edit the files of my jailbroken iPhone umpteen different ways (ftp, appletalk, ssh, terminal on the phone, various file browsers on the phone...). E.g. with ftp and/or appletalk + zeroconfig installed via Cydia the iPhone automatically shows up on the network just like any other Mac/PC with file sharing on.