Saved iphone dropped in water

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by karma54, Feb 21, 2010.

1. karma54 macrumors newbie

I recently dropped my iphone in a fountain and this is how I saved it.

Retrieve and dry off phone ASAP. Remove cover and carefully remove sim card. To remove sim card use the end of a paperclip and insert it into the little hole on the top of the sim card tray. Be gentle!

Find a small air tight food container from take out food or tupperware that fits the phone.

Add a jar of HAL-HEN Super Dri-Aid pellets to the container and place both the phone and sim card on top. Cover and let it sit for 24-48 hours.
    The blue pellets turn white as they absorb moisture and can be reactived and reused.

This is a super absorbant product designed to remove moisture from hearing aids. It can be found at hearing aid clinics, some drug stores or your grandparent's cupboard.

Good luck!:)

2. CupertinoiPhone macrumors member

This is a Temporary Fix

You will see that the water is gone, but some minerals are deposited in your iPhone's logic board and have started the corrosion process.

It will be some time like 6 months by which you will start to see the issues in your iPhone.

Best thing to do it, take everything out & give logic board a alcohol cleaning.

-Ganesh

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

Jeez, another alcohol recommendation.

4. Charger macrumors newbie

a good alternative to the pellets.. use uncooked rice... works just as good for getting the mosture out.. and 4 out of 5 people already have it sitting in a cupboard at home.. only down side is you don't get the funky colour changing..