Saved (off-line) GPS maps

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jcb10, May 10, 2009.

1. jcb10 macrumors regular

Can anyone recommend any apps where there are saved maps one can use with GPS? i.e., maps that don't need an active internet connection? I took a trip to Australia recently, and between having data roaming off to save money and the fact that a lot of the time I was out of network range, missed having maps.

My Garmin GPS+ from 1999 allowed me to pre-save small local maps from a computer and I'm disappointed that the iPhone doesn't have a similar built-in capability.

(to clarify, I see many of the wide-area [and expensive] regional maps, I'm looking for something where I can plug in a map of, say, Tampa or the Australian Outback prior to a visit).

2. twitt3r macrumors 6502

Your 1999 Garmin GPS+ was a bespoke GPS device, the iPhone is not intended to be a dedicated GPS relacement :rolleyes:

If you had read these forums and watched the 3.0 OS announcements, you would know that Apple are going to allow developers to launch their own GPS applications (like Tom Tom and Garmin), but it will not use the on-line Google maps. Instead, in order to not hurt sales of stand-alone map data, GPS apps must use "BYOM" (Bring Your Own Maps). This will effectively turn your iPhone into a stand-alone GPS on or off-line.

3. Tunnelrunner macrumors regular

G-Map East/West has pre-loaded maps of the entire US.

4. needthephone macrumors 6502a

There is an app called OFFMaps which allows you to save Google maps for later use offline .

You can show your location on the maps too-not sure if you can plot a route though.

It is not bad but You can't delete specific maps-you just have to clear the cache and wipe everything. So it needs work but its a start