Saved passwords & keychain

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Moccasin, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Moccasin macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

There are already a number of threads about the inadequacies of/problems with Keychain. I've now had to give up using Keychain on Macrumors as its more trouble than its worth. In any case, keychain only works well if you only ever use Macs. If - like me - you have to use Windows at work, you still have to record the suggested password to be able to enter it when you log in on a Windows machine. Unless there's a way of linking to Keychain outside the Apple ecosystem

I now have another problem however. When I go into Safari preferences, it will no longer show saved passwords. If I try to select "show passwords for selected websites", the tick box will not stay selected and just flashes before returning to unselected state. I have not noticed this before, so am not sure if its a bug or whether something I've done elsewhere in trying to get Safari to behave how I want.

Anyone had this and know how to correct the issue of Safari not showing saved passwords?

2. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've run into issues with safari not remember saved passwords in the past. At this point I now use 1Password to store my passwords and also generate random strong passwords. The vendor has a deal through their site that you can buy both the Mac and windows versions for a low-ish price if you're on different platforms.

If you're on a Mac but use different browsers then this will be better suited to your needs.

For a free alternative there's also lastpass, its cross platform and works well enough.

3. Moccasin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

The issue with Safari not showing saved passwords seems to have been solved with a reboot.

Unfortunately another third party program won't be much help as I won't be able to install it due to the systems being locked down. I may look at a third party program anyway, so thanks for the suggestion

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Those PW entries you see there in Safari are actually pulled from the Keychain. If you were resetting or deleting the main login Keychain it would have wiped the entries in that Safari list and caused the issue you mentioned.

5. Moccasin thread starter macrumors 6502a

Moccasin

Wasn't aware that I had been doing. I was just trying to reset a password.

6. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Also in Safari go to Safari's Preferences, Password button, and search for your website passwords and follow your nose. These passwords can't be changed but you can delete the entry, go back to your web site login and save the new username/password.