Saved Safari passwords in real text in Settings.app

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by inselstudent, Jul 21, 2013.

1. inselstudent macrumors 6502a

Hi,

I just noticed that in iOS 7 beta you can actually read all passwords you've ever decided to save in the Settings.app->Safari->Autofill->Saved passwords. Has it always been like that? On Macs, for intance, there's the keychain app, but you can see the passwords only after you've entered your admin password (as far as I know).

Does anybody know if it was the same in iOS 6?

I think it shouldn't be that way. What if someone else uses your phone for a second (with your consent) and thereby has the chance to quickly learn some of your passwords and then uses them later to login from another device?

Thanks!

2. tymaster50 macrumors 68030

tymaster50

does it show the email you used? If not then that makes it useless doesn't it? And if you're that worried about them using the phone, use the guided access feature.

3. paulmadejong macrumors newbie

I noticed the same thing. However, since I have a passlock enabled, I have to enter the passcode before seeing the passwords in plain text. Without the passcode, I only see the address of the website en user id.

4. inselstudent, Jul 21, 2013
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2013

inselstudent thread starter macrumors 6502a

Yes, it shows the whole username (or email, if the login requires an email as a username) and password.

Edit: ah, good to know it asks for the passcode, I guess I'll just reenable mine then :)

Edit 2:
    But btw, the method with the enabled passcode works only if it's set to immediate. Another flaw if you ask me.

5. lunaoso macrumors 65816

lunaoso

Just checked- not in iOS 6. Must be new to iOS 7. Probably goes along with the whole iCloud keychain thing.