Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacDude415

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 19, 2007
San Francisco
I'm 16 and got a job this summer to save up some money to buy a macbook, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on when to buy one. Now, or wait until the next update (May?).
P.S. Where should I purchase it? Apple Store, Apple Online, Amazon etc?

scienide09

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2007
Canada
Just updated, no new updates expected until sometime into the new year. Its a good time to buy.

Will there be any Black Friday deals on MacBooks? If so, it might be worth the waiting until then.

taylorwilsdon

macrumors 68000
Nov 16, 2006
New York City
It was JUST updated, like just now. Holy **** people are indecisive. Just don't ever buy it, then it won't ever be out of date. The only thing worth waiting for is a black friday deal.

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I wouldn't buy it now if I were you.

Unless, of course you really need it now, if so, there's your answer.

I would buy it from an Apple Store.

Dybbuk

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
I got mine about 2.5 months before the update, knowing it was coming. I really needed it. I don't regret it because I've used it for 2.5 months and it kicked ass.

I wouldn't expect anything earth-shattering next May. Get it and enjoy it, bro.

Cheffy Dave

macrumors 68030
I'm 16 and got a job this summer to save up some money to buy a macbook, and I was wondering if anyone had any advice for me on when to buy one. Now, or wait until the next update (May?).
P.S. Where should I purchase it? Apple Store, Apple Online, Amazon etc?

Saved up??:eek: Good job! Buy now, just ordered my first MAC from Smalldog.com.
Decent folks, and if you don't live in VT, no sales tax:cool:

scamateur

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2007
You can get $100 off at the Apple Education Store, for which you presumably qualify, right now.

Whether other retailers will as readily give you your student discount, other posters may know.

If you wait 6 - 8 months, you can always get something better or cheaper. Always, and forever! If you need to upgrade -- because your current computer is unable to do what you now need it to do -- you have to go for it now!

Maybe if you wait until after Christmas, you'll have some more cash AND Apple will have worked a few more alleged bugs out of Leopard...

CarlsonCustoms

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2007
I had the same dilema with my macbook. I WAS going to wait until leapard came out but I'm so glad I got it early so I could use it much more.

Zack

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.