Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Hi all,
I'm in the process of setting up a recording studio at my work, and we use a networked printer. The printer is a Multi-function Black & White Savin 4022sp - I know there are drivers for Savin Printers up through OS X 10.7, though I cannot seem to get the Mac to print properly from 10.9.2. The printer is recognized by IP address properly through LDP, and even shows up and allows me to print to it. However, when I print, I get jumbled numbers, and anyone who has tech experience can tell that it's a driver issue. So my question is, has anyone experienced this issue and/or have a fix? It's not crucial that the Mac be able to print, but it would be great if it could.
Thanks,
-N

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
Hi all,
I'm in the process of setting up a recording studio at my work, and we use a networked printer. The printer is a Multi-function Black & White Savin 4022sp - I know there are drivers for Savin Printers up through OS X 10.7, though I cannot seem to get the Mac to print properly from 10.9.2. The printer is recognized by IP address properly through LDP, and even shows up and allows me to print to it. However, when I print, I get jumbled numbers, and anyone who has tech experience can tell that it's a driver issue. So my question is, has anyone experienced this issue and/or have a fix? It's not crucial that the Mac be able to print, but it would be great if it could.
Thanks,
-N

Try installing the driver for 10.7. It is available from Savin's website. Generally Ricoh drivers work under 10.9, and the make Savin if I remember correctly.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
No good, still giving me the hundred pages of garbage from before when I try to print. I might just route it through a Windows computer on the network with functioning drivers at this point. I know for a fact that method works since I've done it before.

Altemose

macrumors G3
Mar 26, 2013
Elkton, Maryland
No good, still giving me the hundred pages of garbage from before when I try to print. I might just route it through a Windows computer on the network with functioning drivers at this point. I know for a fact that method works since I've done it before.

http://support.apple.com/downloads/Savin_Printer_Drivers_for_Mac_OS_X_v10_6

Give the drivers in there a shot. I know they are not a perfect model match but unfortunately, it is a not so supported model. Give it a shot and report back! :cool:

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD

FreakinEurekan

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
You might be able to set up an AirPrint emulator on a Windows machine, using these steps. Then any Mac OS X Lion or newer, or iOS device should see it as an AirPrint printer & work with it.

May not support all features of the printer but it should do for basic use.

gsahli

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2007
Chicago
when I print, I get jumbled numbers, and anyone who has tech experience can tell that it's a driver issue.

The postscript RIP is an "option" on many(most) high-end office copiers/printers. Usually, when you see this kind of output it is because the postscript card isn't installed -- but the manufacturer insists on offering only a postscript driver for Mac users.
Try generic PCL.
And use HP Jetdirect-socket for protocol instead of LPD - it's more reliable.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009

As the post above says, you're getting this because the printer doesn't have Postscript capability. The driver is working as it should, but the printer doesn't know how to decode what is being sent.
If you'd rather print directly from the Mac, you can install Gutenprint which includes its own Postscript interpreter. Gutenprint has its own set of print options which may seem unfamiliar when compared to some other print drivers, but it will work.

NOTNlCE

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 11, 2013
Baltimore, MD
Thanks, I'll give this all a shot when I get into work today.
-N

EDIT:

Computer has been moved and is now hardwired into the network via LAN. Works fine now using LPD protocol to the networked SAVIN. Weird. Thanks for the help.
-N

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.