Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ScKaSx

macrumors regular
Original poster
Feb 27, 2006
Hi All,

I have an external hard drive: Western Digital 500Gb My Book Hard Drive (I assume it is FAT32 format).

I am trying to transfer a file > 4Gb to the ExHD when it hits an error at 4Gb. I realize that FAT32 format can take at most 4Gb so I see that I have a problem.

I am looking for suggestions on what to do. The file is a program *.dmg, could I split it up and save it that way? Can I partition this drive without harming the contents already on it? Please respond with options like these! Thanks.

Cheers,
ScKaSx

MisterMe

macrumors G4
Jul 17, 2002
USA

I have an external hard drive: Western Digital 500Gb My Book Hard Drive (I assume it is FAT32 format).
Do assume anything. What is it?

I am trying to transfer a file > 4Gb to the ExHD when it hits an error at 4Gb. I realize that FAT32 format can take at most 4Gb so I see that I have a problem.

I am looking for suggestions on what to do. ...
You don't explain why you are using a Windows-formatted hard drive with your Mac. If you don't need to transfer the drive between your Mac and a Windows machine, then you would save yourself a lot of grief by reformatting it as HFS+ Journaled. If you require the Windows format, then you may need to reformat the drive as NTFS. If you take this option, then you will also need to install NTFS-3G after you install MacFUSE.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.