saving all file type to external drive by default

Discussion in 'macOS' started by koopa35, Jun 1, 2009.

1. koopa35 macrumors 6502

..... is there a way to do such a thing? i have another user on my macbook ultra and i want their files to save on the external drive and not internal. the reason i want this is because i want all my drive space for me and me only.:D

edit: or anyone with a better soloution

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

I assume you mean the MacBook Unibody with MB Ultra, don't you?

You can select the external HDD for the other user's home directory (with Downloads, Desktop, Music, Pictures and all the folder you have in your user folder being stored on the external HDD, and therefore all downloads), but then the user will not be available, when the external HDD is not plugged in.

You change the home directory by going to System Preferences > Accounts > Click the lock to make changes > Right click on user > Advanced Options > Home Directory > Choose.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

http://nixtechnica.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-change-your-home-directory-in.html

3. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

i call it macbook ultra because i have an ssd and a hdd inside it. its a new species of macbook.

and thanks for your help. my external is a networked drive so its always there.

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

So you could try it with an experimental account, if it would work and suffice.

5. koopa35 thread starter macrumors 6502

yes im trying it now. i think this will solve my problems.:D

edit: i failed it wouldnt let me log into the account