Saving APN profile to use Verizon iPad with AT&T

Discussion in 'iPad' started by eagleglen, Mar 23, 2012.

1. eagleglen macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Hello,

I have a question about changing my APN to use my Verizon 4G iPad on AT&T's network. Can the profile that is installed using http://unlockit.co.nz/#_Custom be saved if I want to go back to using Verizon? I want to be able to go back and forth.

I have unlimited data on my AT&T iPhone and I went thru the $30 4G Verizon plan in only a couple days. I've tried swapping the SIMs and after I installed the APN profile, it worked. I know I might get caught by AT&T, but I figure I'll get a warning before they take away my unlimited data on my iPhone. If I do get a nasty notice from them, I'll stop.

But when I went to use Verizon's LTE, it said I was out of data, which wasn't true. When I deleted the APN profile, I was able to connect to Verizon again. So it seems like I have to have an Internet connection first, to download and install the APN profile, before I can swap SIMs, then delete it when I was to switch back. So I'm asking if anyone knows if this can be saved, but not installed.

Thanks.

2. D-Back macrumors member

D-Back

I changed my APN settings to match AT&T and I'm able to go back to Verizon just fine without changing anything back

3. TB07-NJ macrumors 68020

I've never had to change anything going back and forth. All I have to do is either reboot or turn CELL DATA off/on. Same thing when I switch between ATT & T-Mobile on my Galaxy Nexus.

From what I understand the APN is part of the provisioned sim card and gets updated when the card is inserted. Even if that is not how it works, I've never had to modify the APN on the iPad or my Android phone.

4. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

For some reason, I'm not able to use VZW when the AT&T profile is installed. I can only do it if I remove it. It's kind of a chore, just to get AT&T. However, it will be a good thing when I'm in a VZW dead area. But, not sure if APN would even work. Oh, well, I'll worry about that later.

5. eagleglen thread starter macrumors 6502a

eagleglen

Yes, this is what I have to do. I am able to connect to Verizon, and get the LTE icon, but accessing the Internet, results in a prompt that my data plan is empty, which it is not. Apparently a flag is resulting. The only solution seems to be removing the profile. Unfortunately, its not now going to be available when one needs it. This means, to use AT&T's Internet access, you first have to have Internet access and not have used the Verizon network. Tolerable I guess since this is an unsupported connection method..

6. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

Yup. Exactly my situation. It's too much trouble for leisure use, but good for a desperate back-up. But I wonder if it's possible to change the APN via that website when you are in a Verizon dead zone. Display would say "No service" and No WiFi. Im thinking, but hopefully I'm wrong.