Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

youradhere4222

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 16, 2007
Okay, so I'm a newbie to Macs. I love my Mac, but I'm having installation (mainly stupidity) when downloading programs.

For example, I just installed Adium. I downloaded it, and opened the DMG. It opened a dialog where I moved it into Applications, and now a disk with the Adium logo is on my desktop titled Adium X 1.2, and I have no idea what to do with it.

I don't think I delete it, as this is how I deleted LimeWire three times consecutively. I really like my desktop clean, so where am I supposed to put this? I already have it in my Applications, so I really want to know where this goes and why am I having to drag something onto my desktop and keep something else on my desktop.

Thanks! :apple:

Retired
May 16, 2006
The .dmg and the disk image can be dragged to the trash. The app is in the Applications folder (and can be dragged to trash for uninstall), you can drag it to the dock to keep it there :)

atszyman

macrumors 68020
Sep 16, 2003
The Dallas 'burbs
Okay, so I'm a newbie to Macs. I love my Mac, but I'm having installation (mainly stupidity) when downloading programs.

For example, I just installed Adium. I downloaded it, and opened the DMG. It opened a dialog where I moved it into Applications, and now a disk with the Adium logo is on my desktop titled Adium X 1.2, and I have no idea what to do with it.

I don't think I delete it, as this is how I deleted LimeWire three times consecutively. I really like my desktop clean, so where am I supposed to put this? I already have it in my Applications, so I really want to know where this goes and why am I having to drag something onto my desktop and keep something else on my desktop.

Thanks! :apple:

If you dragged Adium.app file to your Applications folder you should be able to remove it from your desktop without any problems occurring. Try just dragging it to the trash and then launch Adium from your Applications folder. If it doesn't work it did not copy to Applications correctly. Assuming it works you can then empty your trash.

When you download most Mac Apps you get a .dmg file. Think of this as the installer CD. When you launch the .dmg it creates a virtual disk on your desktop. From there you copy the application to the directory you want to run it out of, usually "Applications." After the copy completes you can drag the disk image to the trash and the trash should turn into the eject icon as if you were ejecting a CD. At this point try launching the application in the Applications folder to verify that it works and the copy completed correctly. If it works you can then delete the .dmg file you downloaded and enjoy your new app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.