Saving as Excel in Numbers

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by dom.mason, Oct 28, 2009.

1. dom.mason macrumors newbie

Sorry if this has been covered before.

I recently bought a Macbook Pro (and loving it) with iWork 09 pre-installed. I really like using numbers compared to office. However, I have just started working in a group where all the other members use Windows with Office 2007. I have been able to save my numbers (and pages) documents as the office equivalent. My problem lies when I am working on a document in numbers that is the office format. I like to continuously save my progress but whenever i press save, I have to save it as a whole new document or replace the existing one. When I used to work in office 2007 I used to just press save every now and then and it would save my changes. Am I doing something wrong or is it because I am working on an excel spreadsheet in numbers (word document in pages)?

I hope this makes sense and thank you in advance for any help.

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

From my experience, Numbers 09 will do exactly what you describe, unless you use a feature that can't be replicated in the Excel format. If you open and make changes to an Excel document, just hitting :apple:-S or File > Save will simply save the changes and leave the document in Excel format. If that's not the case, check your preferences for a setting related to that (can't remember, don't have the time to look it up right now).

Admittedly, however, I rarely do this, so I could be remembering things a little off.

jW

3. CaptMurdock macrumors 6502a

CaptMurdock

The Save As dialog box does give you the option to save the file as an Excel file. I use this to work on Excel file between my work PC and my iBook at home.

4. dom.mason thread starter macrumors newbie

Yea that doesn't seem to be the case. For example, I would recieve an excel document from another member, open it in numbers, do some adjustments and then press cmd+S. This would open the save as dialog and defaults to a .numbers file. All i want to do is save the changes as the original file.

I had a look through preferences, but there doesn't seem to be many, and certainly none that seem to relate to my problem. I suppose its only a minor inconvenience. The way I see it, when I press save I have two options. I can overwrite the copy sent to me (essentially saving changes) or create a second copy.

Thanks for your help

Dom