Saving automator workflow as Finder plugin

Discussion in 'macOS' started by jmfm, Jan 14, 2011.

1. jmfm macrumors newbie

I downloaded what looked like a useful script from the following page:

http://mac.wareseeker.com/Utilities/extract-pages-from-pdf-1.0.5.zip/c8594b645

If you notice, in that page it says that you can save the automator workflow as a Finder plugin. I've tried to follow the instructions but when I do 'save as', I only get two choices: 'workflow' or 'app'. I see no way of transforming this automator script into a Finder plugin. Can anybody lend me a hand?

Josep M.

2. mheidt macrumors member

In 10.6 you need to create a new workflow as service.
    There are some options when the script will apply (File/Directory and Finder f.e)
    It is saved as service and if you did everything right it will show up as last item in the context menu of a file or folder.

In 10.5 the save as plugin was still valid.

3. jmfm thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the quick answer. Can this be done if the automator script was already created by someone else? What I have is a file with the extension .workflow and I want this to become a service so that when I click on a PDF file on Finder I can use this service to split the document into a number of pages. How can I do that if I have not created the script myself?

I'm sorry for the ignorant question but I have never used Automator before and I don't seem to find an easy way to do that. Thanks for your help.

JM

4. mheidt macrumors member

Don't you see the content, when you open the .app with automator?
    Apparently you need to create a new workflow and rebuild it with the information you gained by watching into the .app.
    I can see the script-code of my .app which I generated with a .workflow. But I cannot change it anymore.

5. jmfm thread starter macrumors newbie

OK, I see. So it would be just a matter of copying the code from the original script and paste it into the newly created workflow, right? Thanks!

JM