Saving Battery with Optibay

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tjb1, Jan 22, 2011.

1. tjb1 macrumors 68000

I just was able to put my optibay HDD back in since it seems the SSD is now stable with 310. Problem is im losing quite a bit of battery keeping the home folder on it. Im now trying just keeping the music on it but it doesnt seem to help much at all with battery, is there anything I can do to save battery besides unmount it all the time?

2. ZenErik macrumors 6502

Is it that important? I unmount my HDD sometimes (has all of my media), but most of the time it doesn't matter. The lengthy battery life of Macs are great but how often is that long battery life absolutely necessary? 6+ hours is fine with me when both drives are active. If I'm doing recording or watching a video with my Mac hooked up to my TV, it is usually plugged in.

Perhaps you really do NEED it, but I find that most people do not make too much use of the excellent battery.

3. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Its at 3.5 hours at full charge now...yes my battery is calibrated. I really dont feel like going to disk utility all the time to unmount/mount the drive, guess ill see if i can find a way to menubar it.

4. ZenErik macrumors 6502

That is pretty low. Is this while just surfing the web and doing basic tasks? If so, perhaps it is due to your Momentus XT? I still get 6+ hours with my config. SSD in the optical bay, 1TB HDD in the standard spot.

I would say that I lost roughly 2 hours of battery life after adding a storage drive to the optical bay.

5. tjb1 thread starter macrumors 68000

Basic...cant do an automator script either because the SSD and HDD are magically switching disk names and I even ejected the HDD and it somehow mounted itself again but the volumes didnt mount but I can hear it spinning. Guess ill just have to deal with the battery life.