Saving Data w/ Data Plan

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Hopefully the title kind of makes sense. What I'm looking for is any ideas people have to save data when using a data plan. I had an ATT iPad 1 with unlimited data so I used it however I wanted, then I never used data on my iPad 2 or 3 until now I need it because of no WiFi at work. I have a VZ iPad now and if I get a plan I'm just wondering if there are certain tips to avoid using extra data. Like can I set Photostream to only sync when on WiFi? Im just looking for ways to save data so I can get by with the cheapest plan possible?

bajaracing

macrumors member
Jun 20, 2009
I just make it a habit of turning off data plan when I'm at home or the office where I have wifi. I don't update unless I'm on wifi as well.

Comment

number84

macrumors 6502
Mar 30, 2011
If jailbroken you can try to install and adblocker to at least limit ads on web pages.

Comment

qCzar

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2011
SFBA, CA
Hopefully the title kind of makes sense. What I'm looking for is any ideas people have to save data when using a data plan. I had an ATT iPad 1 with unlimited data so I used it however I wanted, then I never used data on my iPad 2 or 3 until now I need it because of no WiFi at work. I have a VZ iPad now and if I get a plan I'm just wondering if there are certain tips to avoid using extra data. Like can I set Photostream to only sync when on WiFi? Im just looking for ways to save data so I can get by with the cheapest plan possible?
Browse you're favorite sites over WiFi first and if you're able to, opt for their Mobile site. Mobile sites generally use less images and resources. As long as your cookies don't get reset you'll continually view the mobile sites.

Also, PhotoStream only syncs over WiFi.

Comment

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Disable push and have the your mailbox set to manual updating.

Close out programs like Skype, messenger apps, anything that uses data in the background.

Comment

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
Thanks for the ideas/tips. Keep them coming if anyone has more to add.

Comment

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
As long as cellular is on there is some usage. I am also not conviced that something else is going on sometimes.

I observed a big jump when I feel I was not using the ipad.

Safest way...shut if off when not using.

With there was a jailbreak tweak so I could do this with one button click.

Comment

jjk454ss

macrumors 601
Original poster
Jul 10, 2008
As long as cellular is on there is some usage. I am also not conviced that something else is going on sometimes.

I observed a big jump when I feel I was not using the ipad.

Safest way...shut if off when not using.

With there was a jailbreak tweak so I could do this with one button click.
Would NCSettings work? I think there is a 3G toggle for turning 3G on/off on the iPhone. I would think it would work to turn off LTE on the iPad.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.