Saving downloaded files from emails

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kem103, Jul 3, 2009.

1. kem103 macrumors newbie

Is there any way to save files to an external drive? We receive emails with attachments. When we save these files, the only options given are "desktop" and "our external drive". We need to save them to folders, preferably on our external drive. Even if we create a folder on the desktop, we can't figure out how to save the file in that folder directly. The desktop is a mess because it is littered with images.

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Are you using Apple Mail?
    If you are, simply right click (or ctrl-click if you have a single button mouse) on the attachment and select Save Attachment...
    It will then prompt you for a location to save to (click the disclosure arrow to see the full file select dialog box)

3. kem103 thread starter macrumors newbie

We are using Swishmail (webmail). We right-clicked on the attachment, but it just gives us the option to save as a link. We double-clicked on the attachment as well. And, it just gives us the desktop option. (We could save images from Swishmail to folders on our PCs. We love our Macs and so are hoping that we don't have to return to our PCs. )

4. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Webmail is tricky, some have features that others don't. We can't really diagnose your problem because no one is familiar with Swishmail.

5. kem103 thread starter macrumors newbie

We're also using Rackspace webmail. Again, we could save to folders with that one as well (on a pc). But, we'd prefer to use our Macs. We receive 20-30 images a day and so you can imagine what our desktop looks like.

Maybe someone has written an app?

6. kem103 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah-ha! I figured out a workaround. I moved a new folder to "my places" in the Finder and now that shows up as a selectable destination. I can then delete that folder and add another to My Places as needed. Will I be "breaking" my Mac by doing that? I mean, I don't know how many "My Places" you can have in Finder.