Saving files from Mac G3, OS9

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by signmike, Jun 2, 2011.

1. signmike macrumors newbie

I have TONS of work in Illustrator 8, Typestyler 3, PhotoShop 5, jpgs, fonts and more on the hard drive, floppies and Iomega 100s. When I get a newer Mac OSX will I lose all that stuff, or is there a way to transfer? No usb and I think my CD drawer is read only. I have an external CDR/W, but have never used it or connected it.
    I have a Mac laptop with 10.3.9 coming. Also can I upgrade the OS on that, or should I?
    Thanks in advance...

2. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

First of all, you need to provide the specs of both computers. Once you do that, you will get lots of advice.

3. Tholian macrumors member

If your handy with a screwdriver I would remove your old HD and put it into an external case (app. $25.00) which you can then connect to your new computer. It will then be a new volume on your desktop which will allow you to drag files to the new compute if you want to. Just remember to put the new files in your drop box (home->Public->Drop Box) so they get the correct permissions. You could keep your old drive as an external or put it back into your old computer to keep that running.

4. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

If I read the OP post correctly, he is wanting a new OS on the G3, not getting a new computer.

5. signmike, Jun 3, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2011

signmike thread starter macrumors newbie

New OS

maccompaq - No, I am getting a new (old) computer, a laptop. I don't really have room in my tiny house for a lot of hardware, and the old G3 is working for me in the meantime. But eventually, and soon, I hope, I can move ever onward and upward from the 80s to the 21st century. But there is years of labor represented on the old box, and I'd rather not lose it. Thanks, you guys.
    Oh, btw maccompaq, nice car! I also have a '35, but mine is a Dodge.

6. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

Tell us about the laptop you will be getting so we can make suggestions.

The 1935 Ford V8, 60 horsepower, wire wheels, continental kit all standard on the new car. No radio, no A/C, no power anything. Almost forgot, mechanical brakes.

7. maccompaq macrumors 65816

maccompaq

I was looking for this device for you, and I finally found it. I have one like it, and it works great for SATA and IDE hard drives. It does not work with SCSI devices.

Save all the data from your floppies and Iomega to the internal hard drive. Then remove the hard drive from the G3 and connect it to the adapter I have referenced and plug it into the USB port of the laptop to transfer the data. All your jpegs will work fine on the laptop. OS 10.3.9 will work fine. Newer OS's will possibly run slower on your older laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...e=ide_converter_to_usb-_-12-156-017-_-Product

8. signmike thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks, macc - I'll have to find somebody (a Mac guru) more knowledgable than me to do the work. I'm pretty much 'puter illiterate, but thanks for the help.

Yeah, mech brakes, I forget about that. Mopar went to juice in '32.

9. Darth.Titan macrumors 68030

Darth.Titan

While an external enclosure for the internal HD would work, finding one for a 3.5" IDE hard drive these days might be a trick.

Much easier just to string a network cable between the two macs and turn on file sharing.