Saving files - organization

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Marilynfan, Oct 20, 2007.

1. Marilynfan macrumors member

Marilynfan

I'm new to the Mac world and I am a little confused when I move files over (or save them) on my mac. On my PC I used to have a lot of folders on my desktop for audio/video projects I was currently working on, like my podcast for example. Do most people do this on a mac as well?

Finder confuses me a bit. In finder, what is the difference between saving stuff on Desktop, Documents or the tab with my name melinda.

Also, when you right click to save photos is seems the only choices are to put it in iPhoto or to your desktop...I want a save as option so I can choose the folder. I just can't get into iPhoto. I have too many graphics, photos, etc that are not family photos it would just get too confusing I think.

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

you can save docs wherever you want :) most mac users dont have folders all over their desktop but just save in the appropraite documents, movies etc folders in their home folder.

saving files on the desktop just saves it to your desktop folder in your home directory. the home directory is in the sidebar and in macintosh HD/users/"your name" directory. the desktop is just a link to the desktop folder. anything that you put in the desktop folder will appear on the desktop and vice versa.

do you have the safari 3 beta? it has "save file as..." and "use image as desktop picture" menus when you right click a picture. if you dont have it check this out http://www.apple.com/safari/

3. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When you save stuff in User/Documents, User/Pictures, User/Movies, etc. it makes it a lot easier to back things up.

You can just drag those folders to the backup drive.

If you keep stuff on User/Desktop it isn't a big deal to back that up as well. However if you also keep other stuff on the desktop you don't care about. Sorting through that for backups will be a bigger pain.

Of course Time Machine will likely make things easier.

---

Save them wherever you want, just remember to back up when you cannot bear to lose something.

4. Marilynfan thread starter macrumors member

Marilynfan

Thanks for the info and no I didn't have the Safari Beta. That is great.