Saving files to desktop recommended?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by 3WM, May 29, 2010.

1. 3WM macrumors newbie

I have 2 gigs of stuff on my desktop.

Its not going to slowdown my mac will it?

I keep my mac on all the time so start-up time is no concern if thats even a concern cause i remember back in my pc days reading you should keep your desktop clean for fast load up.

I also found some script that hides all the stuff on my desktop so it looks empty and i access my desktop files through Finder if that makes any dif.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Desktop is just a folder among others. It's not going to slow it down but I prefer keeping my desktop as clean as possible

3. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

It can slow things down some, but depends more on the number of items than their file size. The slow down comes from icon previews. I've hard people having things crash because the Desktop was having trouble generating the icon previews for 2000 files on the Desktop. That was an extreme, but those previews do take resources. You can turn off icon previews for the desktop as well to help with that.

4. 3WM thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey 3WM...Whatup its you I mean ME from the future

I came here searching for the answer to this same question I asked back in MAY! ROTFL!!

I utfsf on here for like fifteen mins, logged in, searched 'desktop' in titles only, read every post title on first page and opened two, went to 2nd page and half way down i read "Saving files to desktop recommended and 3wm below it!

Woohoo I found my answer...AGAIN!

See boys and girls the answers are all there u just need to UTFSF...and remember what u supposedly learned.GD it