iPod touch Saving game progress while jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by weisskruez77, Nov 1, 2012.

1. weisskruez77 macrumors newbie

I am attempting to jailbreak an iTouch but there are several games on there that I want to save. I was wondering if there is a way to keep the game progress when I jailbreak the iTouch or maybe I can backup the iTouch and that backup will have the saved game that I can restore to at any time? I've read that iCloud can do something like this but I don't have a definite answer (and for some reason I cannot post on the Apple discussion forum at the moment) Any suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks~

2. Siggen macrumors 6502

This is just an untested hypotesis.
    But if you use iFile to copy the whole documents data in the app folder.

Test it with an app you don't care for.

3. BumpyFlatline, Nov 2, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2012

BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I have used AppBackup for several years now for specifically this reason. Not all games support iCloud and then you could use iTunes to backup your device but I've lost game saves this way in the past. It's been a really long time since I've tried using iTunes for this. Maybe it has gotten better. I have always just used AppBackup because I have NEVER once run into problems with it. It backs up all your App Store app data including game saves. I have game saves from when I first got my 3GS and they're now on my 4S lol. Would you like a step by step tutorial on how to use AppBackup? After using it, you need to copy a folder from your iDevice to your computer. Then after you restore and re-jailbreak you copy that folder back to your iDevice, install AppBackup and whatever games you want to restore, and use the app to restore all your App Store app data. Don't worry though, because whatever games you don't install, the game saves for that non-installed game are still on the device in the folder you copied to your iDevice. So you can save space on your iDevice until you want to play the game. Then whenever you get around to installing it, then it will appear in the list of apps in AppBackup. Does that make sense?

It takes maybe 5 mins in all to do this whole process. The time consuming part is restoring, jailbreaking, and putting all your stuff back onto the iDevice like music, apps, contacts, etc. Let me know if you want a tutorial or you need help. I use it ALL the time. AppBackup is always on my phone and I randomly backup my game saves just to be safe. Super easy and worth it. Plus its free. There are some other programs that do this too but I've always used AppBackup.

4. weisskruez77 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hmm, the thing is the iTouch isn't jailbroken yet lol When I looked up AppBackup it says it needs a jailbroken device so I want to assume it wouldn't work on one that isn't, correct?

5. Siggen macrumors 6502

what iOS version are you on?
    Most likely you can just run an app on your computer and bam jailbroken without any loss

6. weisskruez77 thread starter macrumors newbie

It's 5.1.1. Are there any jailbreaking methods that doesn't rid the iTouch of it's apps/data? I'm doing a lot of research on this but I am not getting definite answers. Some people say a certain method does work, others say it doesn't so it's all very confusing lol

I'm reading that redsn0w doesn't get rid of apps but again some people say it does some people say it doesn't, anyone know?

7. Siggen macrumors 6502

The main method of jailbreaking with redsn0w does not involve restoring your iDevice.

8. TriJetHero macrumors 601

TriJetHero

Not intirely correct.

For A4 devices and 3GS in redsn0w you have a choice to jailbreak via the ramdisk limera1n exploit or via the backup/restore method.

For A5 devices only the backup/restore method is available, the dev team recommends to do a clean jailbreak and than restore especially for people with lots of media, which would create a very large backup to restore.

9. BumpyFlatline macrumors 68030

BumpyFlatline

I've had a lot of success using redsn0w to jailbreak multiple 4S devices which all had a LOT of data. Just make sure the computer you use has a lot of free space so it can easily make the backup. I didn't lose any data on any device. Absinthe always errored out on me. Like the knowledgable TriJet said, the devs recommend running the jailbreak for A5 devices on a fresh restore. But like I said, I didn't have any problems with redsn0w on multiple devices. You could always run redsn0w to jailbreak, then use the added abilities that jail breaking gives you so you can easily copy everything you don't want to lose to your computer and use the AppBackup method for game saves. Then restore as new, jailbreak, sync you information over and copy the game saves back to the device. Or after you jailbreak with redsn0w the first time, just stop there and enjoy your jailbroken device! Either way before you restore as new I'd try using redsn0w to jailbreak. Good luck and let us know you run into problems. If you have problems, then a restore and jailbreak before syncing any data should work. Either way, you should be able to do what you are trying to accomplish And listen to TriJet! He knows his stuff.