Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

zombieaters

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2009
nope. at least i havent found a way yet... the best thing i can tell you to do is open the image in another program (such as Photoshop) and resave as the file extension that you want.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Is this possible as they seem to only save as pdf format ?
PDF? That takes me back.

In Terminal:

defaults write com.apple.screencapture type image_format

For image_format you have jpg, pdf, tif, or png.

I believe it takes a log out to make the change final as well.

Avzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
U.k
>>>

Oh cool!
Nice one!
Can you use terminal for changing how you want to save it? Ive never used it before ?
Many Thank!
;)

Avzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
U.k
>>>

mmm
Ive just had a go at typing that and it hasn't worked ?

I opened Terminal and typed
defaults write com.apple.screencapture type jpg
I clicked return
and then typed
killall SystemUIServer
closed Terminal
and tried Grab again and its stil saving as pdf
?

Avzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
U.k
>>>

Please Help as this is bugging me out.
I have followed those instructions but Its not happening ?
I am using 10.3 so the default as listed is pdf, but I want to change it to jpg.
I tried logging out/in and also tried the killing command.
Still No Joy ?

Avzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
U.k
>>>

Also when I accually open 'Grab' and use it the file is saved as a 'tiff'
???????
:rolleyes:

Avzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
U.k
>>>

I was, Im just trying both ways to see if they have changed the formats I am trying to save them in ?

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Yeah, or else try using the utility Onyx that I mentioned before to implement the default change for you -- the defaults write command should affect both Grab.app and the Cmd-Option-Shift-3/4 screengrabs.

Onyx is just a maintenance tool (that a lot of us really like) but this happens to be another setting it can tweak on your behalf.

Avzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
U.k
>>>

Well Sickmadoc that looks like that would be a perfectly simple solution...
But Its still the same.. tiff and pdf!
AaaarRGH!!!!
:eek:

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
Awww, crap, sorry, I missed the Panther part. That would have been important up front. It also explains why the terminal commands didn't work. I'm not sure if any of the methods we've been discussing will work in Panther....

http://www.mac-forums.com/forums/os...-screenshots-command-shift-3-file-format.html

I'm not sure that the Panther version of Onyx has a feature to let you change this setting.

You might try digging around for some alternative such as another screen grabbing application besides Grab.app. Skitch is great but it requires Tiger or Leopard. Hmmm.... you'd have to poke around to find something Panther compatible.

sickmacdoc

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2008
New Hampshire
No biggie-- after doing some digging around, the Terminal commands intended to do that appear to be the same in 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5! They (and the other apps tried that probably just use the same) just didn't work on the OP's installation for some reason.:(

Avzone

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 13, 2004
U.k
>>>

I think to be perfectly honest I NEED to upgrade to 10.5 as Im feeling like a windows user at the moment :rolleyes: well not that bad I guess but feeling left behind, even with the magazines I buy.
Time for an upgrade, I am just so worried about losing everything again, like my favourites, funny thing is I found a folder earlier with a bunch of old favourites in it, how I done that I dont know ? :confused:
Leopard here we go >>>

Thanks again for all your support guys, this forum is proving to be tremendous help to me and my mac learning, I love it when I get everything running properly, once that happens on the mac theres no worries usually.

I got a screen come up yesterday with all languages on it telling me to shut down my system ?
Last time I had that it was the start of my hard drive needing to be binned!?
:(

acurafan

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
is there a more powerful version of Grab that allow image manipulation right after a screen cap?

right now i use SnagIT 9.1 on Windows and it's awesome tool - i like to know if there is one for mac.

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
is there a more powerful version of Grab that allow image manipulation right after a screen cap?

right now i use SnagIT 9.1 on Windows and it's awesome tool - i like to know if there is one for mac.

What do you have in mind in terms of the sophistication of image manipulation? If you just want basic cropping, resizing, annotating, etc, then there is no better tool than Skitch. It also allows for automated posting of the images onto a website from which they can be hotlinked. Very nice. Only for Mac, though, and only works on Tiger and later.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.