Saving HD movies in iTunes?????

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ndwgolf, Sep 26, 2008.

1. ndwgolf macrumors regular

I have just bought a new Sony HD camcorder and whenever I connect it to my computer via USB port my computer wants to open iMovie but I want to save the movie in iTunes ‘ How do I do that” ????????

2. johto macrumors 6502

johto

You "cant". I bet your camcorder is outputting in a format which is "raw" and not supposed to be used in "normal" video player(itunes). Usually you first edit the raw footage on other programs(imovie,final cut..) and only then export and (re)encode to a final format (example h.264) for later viewing, in example itunes. :cool:

3. ndwgolf thread starter macrumors regular

So what is the best way to save small video clips "say of your house" so that you can open up your MB Air and show you family some clips of your house or what ever you have taken

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Export from iMovie and save it as an MPEG-4 with h.264 compression, then open it in Quicktime.

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Using iMovie HD what I do is make an iMovie then save it in a format that will play in whatever mode while keeping the original.
    If I'm uploading to YouTube I'll go to the File menu, hit 'Share', Quicktime, save for 'Web'. I find that saving in .mov or .mpg works for iTunes.

Use 'Add to Library' in the iTunes File menu to import the movie.

I just did this with a quick movie slide show, it popped up in the Movies panel view in iTunes and played when I clicked on it.

edit: ^Didn't see Cave Man's post; that'll work too.

6. ndwgolf thread starter macrumors regular