Saving InDesign CS4 files to be read by CS1

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stlredbird, Apr 8, 2009.

1. stlredbird macrumors 6502

stlredbird

So here's my problem. My personal MacbookPro has CS4 while my mac at work only has CS1 (I keep begging for an upgrade). I would like to be able to work on my laptop on certain projects for various reasons but I need to be able to export my InDesign files in a format that InDesign CS1 can read and edit normally so if for any reason i don't have my laptop or leave the company the files can be opened using my work computer.

So is there a way to save or export in CS4 to a legacy CS1 format?

Thanks

2. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I don't have a large knowledge of InDesign... but..... I know in photoshop cs4.. that when you save... it comes up with compatibility mode box....

I have just discovered... that if you export the file as a .INX (InDesign CS3 Interchange) you can open it in any version.....

Just go to file, export and then set the settings the same as in my screenshot...

Attached Files:

3. Busy Bee macrumors Demi-God

Unfortunately not. Just as QuarkXpress does, you can only save as/export one version down. To go from InDesign CS4 back to a CS file means a tedious and error-prone round trip down through opening the files in different versions of InDesign, at the end of which, the file will lose a number of editable options as well as being potentially unstable.

This is why I keep active versions of certain apps around, so that I can work with others working with older versions of apps... although I've never had to work with anyone still using InDesign CS(1).

stlredbird: By not upgrading a piece of software that is almost ten years old, your company is wasting your time and productivity. Failing that, get InDesign CS on your Mac; it has no product activation.

4. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I'm sorry... but your wrong!!!

I just tried it... on my powerbook which is running CS1.... it worked fine... although saying that... the document was only text!!!

You do however... have to be running CS1 Version 4 or above or it like doesn't work!!

5. Busy Bee macrumors Demi-God

This is not a usable file and your advice is incoherent. I rest my case.

6. MAC-PRO-DEMON macrumors 6502a

MAC-PRO-DEMON

I am afraid that seeing as this person is Bering so rude, and mocking my advise... I may not be very knowledgable of InDesign, but that does no way mean that I would post wrong advice, I do not believe In conversing with people who do not apreciate other peoples ideas, I am happy to give advice to people to get them to the end of their woes... I am just insulted and amazed, that there are people like you on macrumors...

I rest my case, and I hope never to hear from you again...