Saving iOS5 GM Blobs

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by theturtle, Oct 27, 2011.

1. theturtle macrumors 6502a

Woohoo. Ordered my gevey sim. Updated to iOS5 gm while preserving the baseband. My question is, can you successfully back up iOS5 GM blobs and restore them later (after apple begins to release updates). Just asking because i recall musclenerd saying that apple got smarter and saving blobs for ios5 would be pointless but then i read a conflicting report from tiny umbrella saying that their app is now compatible with iOS5 GM blobs. Whats the exact answer?

Also, when new firmwares get released, is it possible to update the phones OS while preserving the baseband (through redsnow) or does a person have to wait till devs give the thumbs up or release an update to redsnow to make it compatible. Thanks!

2. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

SHSHs blobs on iOS5 don't work the same as they did on iOS4 or older, they work more like the SHSHs from the baseband now. you can use saved SHSHs to go back to anything before iOS5.

It is always advisable to "wait till devs give the thumbs up or release an update to redsnow" as you put it yourself. YOu can preserve your baseband using a "custom" package IPSW firmware, but you always need to wait for redsnow to be updated to be compatible with the most current release.

3. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

thanks for the reply!

tbh, still kind of confused about the ios5 blobs part. im on basband 4.10.1 and upgraded to iOS5. I have my blobs saved up to 4.3.3. If ios 5.1 gets released (and then rednow gets released) will I be able to rollback to original iOS5gm or to the 4.x.x firmwares?

the thing im confused about is, if the firmware I have right now crashes and I end up having to do a restore. which firmware would i have to restore it to to make sure my 4.10.1 baseband does not get updated? the restore process is done through tinyumbrella though correct?

4. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

I know it is a bit confusing, I'll try to clarify it as much as i can with the current info we have, iOS5 DOES NOT, works like iOS4 did,,,so the whole SHSH blob saved to restore to a previous firmware no longer apply (at least not as right now, until someone figure something different), IOS5 will have "incremental" updates and not complete firmware upgrades, so to answer your question is hard at this point until we see what those updates look like. IOS 5.x (whatever that x will be) it will not be a complete IPSW like those from IOS4 and before, it will be a series of package that will just patch the firmware with the updates instead of a entire new firmware.

For now all we know that you can update to a IOS5 custom since Apple is signing those, however once the "new" version is release, chances are if something goes wrong you will have to go back to 4.3.3 custom since 5 will no be signing (and you cannot saved those SHSHs)

5. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

ah, that explanation was great. i totally forgot that the updates were going to be delta updates.

but yeah, i understand. once i go to ios5 the only way back is to a 4.x.x.

so if i revert back to 4.3.3 everything will still be good correct? meaning the baseband will still be at 4.10.1? This process is done by obtaining the 4.3.3 ipsw and through tiny umbrella?

again thakns for taking the time out to write that explanation man.

6. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

You'll still be able to get full IPSW's for doing restores. But you won't even be able to use those to go back because they are signing the firmware in IOS5 like they did the baseband for <IOS5.

The delta updates may be part of the reason why they changed this behavior, but they are not the thing stopping you from being able to go back to say, 5.0 (which we all have a full ipsw for), after apple closes the window and stops signing 5.0.

7. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

omg. my brain is about to explode. maybe im overanalyzing something but let me explain what my thought process is.

i want to roll back to ios5 no matter what (thats in the situation my phone ever crashes and requires a restore). by asking if i could save my blobs for ios 5, i was wondering if i would be able to restore ios5 while also preserving my baseband.

this is where my thought process gets really whacked out.

how would it actually work? so lets say i get my blobs for 5.0 saved. even if i could get it to restore, wouldnt my baseband update if i restore with 5.0 or will i have to restore using the "custom" 5.0. if so, will the saved shsh blobs also apply to the custom 5.0 and sign the ipsw or will those blobs (if it will even work) only applies to the untouched ipsw of ios5.

so my question is, if my firmware ever craps out, even with my ios5 shsh saved, does that mean that i'll never be able to go back to ios 5 while preserving my baseband?

8. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

Once Apple closes the window on 5.0 (like when they release 5.0.1) you'll never be able to go back, preserved baseband, or not. (unless the dev teams figure something out that havent told us yet)

But in general, right now the only way to preserve baseband on ios5 is to use redsn0w with that option and create a custom firmware (which it sounds like you did) eventually once a new untether comes out they will update pwnagetoo,l which will create an already untethered jailbroken custom firmware.
    But again, once the window is closed there will be no way to use these firmwares.

This is why, IMO, the semi tethered is going to be a good option, because apple will close these windows quickly and you better not have problems and need to restore until the next untether comes out!

9. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

so saving the blobs for 5.0 is actually pretty pointless. meaning if my phone ever craps out and needs to be restored, i'll be restoring to 4.3.3 and waiting patiently till i could create a custom firmware right?

10. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

Again, we are not sure of that at this point, someone on the Apple support forum posted that it was going to work very similar to Lion installs, if you needed to restore you have to restore to 5 and then do the delta updates, so no more complete IPSWs for anything above current, however that thread was block and deleted later so we don't really know.

Not really "pointless", you jus can't save those anymore.

11. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

i should mention that its not the jailbreak im specifically worried about. its just that the gevey sim will work with the baseband i have which is very important when i go europe in a month or two.

12. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

If that is the case, just stop messing around with the phone and stay on 4.3.3, no need to risky with Beta software.

13. theturtle thread starter macrumors 6502a

if that was the case i would be so happy. it would mean that ios5 would be forever signed and that i could keep restoring to the custom ipsw if something ever goes wrong. *cross my fingers*

anyways, thanks for putting up with my question. its been bugging me for a while haha.

----------

couldn't resist the iOS5 temptation :X

hahaha don't kill me!
    but yeah, hopefully those blobs for 4.3.3 and 4.3.5 will let me roll back if any phone problems ever arise.

14. Shaddow825 macrumors 6502

And that may be, we may never see a full update again, but that still isn't the reason we wont be able to restore anything but the currently signed version.

Our best hope is that they always keep the 5.0 window open and get deltas for 1 version up (eg: 5.01. to 5.02) and combos to take up from >1 version forward (eg: 5.0.1 to 5.03) That way they will be forced to always leave the 5.0 window open as a restore point.

----------

This will depend on what exactly Apple has planned for what happens when you hit "restore" in itunes once 5.0.1 is out. Will it be a 5.0 restore and then a delta/combo update or just a plain 5.0.1 ipsw. And that wont mean redsn0w won't be able to create a 5.0.1 full ipsw with no baseband from apples various base + delta updates as well.